Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You Learned Well Grasshopper

One of my favorite television shows is something called Mythbusters. It's a show that takes so called urban legends, or myths, and either proves them to be true or proves that they are unsupported bunk. Their method of doing that is sort of pseudo science, but I like to take it as fact. That's why I was so happy when they proved the myth that cursing actually helps lessen pain. I come from a family of cursers. My dad could let out a string of profanity that would make the paint peel off the walls of our church. Old ladies would blush a mile away if my dad slammed his thumb with a hammer, or peeled open his scalp walking into low hanging hardware. You could be going about your business, and off in the distance you might hear my dads voice bellowing out in pain, followed by a litany of shit, crap, sonofabitch, and other combination of words that might not have true meaning but still sounded nasty.

When it comes to my swearing, I am a student of my father. I learned at the feet of the master, and when we were kids my mom never asked the question required of mothers, "Where did you learn such vulgar language?". My mom knew exactly where we learned it. My vulgarity is actually a bit advanced when compared to my dad's. You see I have never had to worry about children being within earshot when I let loose, so I have expanded and enhanced upon the knowledge I gleaned from dad. I have come up with some new combination's that he never would have thrown out there, including new things to do with fecal matter, and sexual profanity that involves just about every living thing.

How good am I at cursing? Well seventeen years ago, I moved into this house, and the neighbor lady came over to welcome me. "Oh, those people who used to live here were horrible. They cursed all the time, I could hear them clear as day across the fence.", she whined. Yes, I assured her, that was awful. It was just a few months later that she sold the place and moved out.

14 comments:

  1. So is that the same neighbors house that now houses the children who were stealing your WiFi and dancing on the roof?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think she sold it to them to punish me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God you are not "on call" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are your sisters as adept at cussing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Syd, they all grew up to be mommy's. If they followed my mom's lead then they do curse, like a sailor. Which is much less than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Syd - yes all Alan's sisters curse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and THAT is answer I was hoping for. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. one of Alan's sistersJune 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

    Alan's sisters curse on a sliding scale of profanity....some less than the others! We are not shocked by curse words but I prefer not to hear the "F" word out in the mall....one more thing to keep at home!
    As for the pain/curse myth....I challenge their findings. I've tried holding my tongue and the pain lasts longer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You misunderstood OOAS, they found that swearing did reduce the pain. That's why I was happy. It totally vindicates my filthy mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of a sliding scale of swearing. And I agree, the F Bomb should not be in the mall but outside on the ordinance range. With lots of gunpowder....and hey! Look! we're back to Mythbusters.

    (love that show)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another one of Alan's SistersJune 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

    Very funny but "anonymous" answered before me!! Do you remember Mom trying to throw Dad's cursing back at him? I remember her yelling "F**K, F**K, F**K, F**K, F**K!!!!!" at him one time and saying "How do YOU like it!" Didn't seem to bother him...............

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are all so funny. We can all curse with the best of them, them being Dad, Alan and all the rest of my siblings. People in my office know that when they hear the F word being thrown around to just stay clear. As far as my sisters go - swearing is a much a part of them as breathing is, some more than others, but the still can string the F bombs pretty good. Dad was the King of profanity, but I think he raised a bunch of prince and princesses that could string um as good as he could!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see nothing wrong with substituting the F word with the words Fudge or Freakin. We all know what it refers to; just in a more gentrified manner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I married a man who strongly dislikes swearing. (I was very quiet when we dated :o}) I held back for many years until the "%*&^%#$@^*$" burst from me! And after 40 years in our family he just grins and bears it!

    ReplyDelete