Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stray Cat Blues

On more than one occasion I have asked Mark, how did a kid who grew up in the Bronx become so spoiled? His answer is always, "I'm not spoiled, and I only lived in the Bronx until I was nine.".
Still, the middle kid in a family of five, in a lower income neighborhood, how did he decide that he deserved the best of everything? I know from the stories I've heard from his brothers and sisters, and from him, that his parents didn't put up with any shit. How did I end up with this spoiled child?

Speaking of strays, I've been having a problem with all the orphan cats I've taken in. Not only Fat Kitty, but the two outside cats, who if not for me would be living in prison right now, have decided that the food I feed them is no good. I have always fed them either Friskies or Nine Lives canned food, and at first they seemed to relish the piles of stinky mush, but lately they have been turning up their noses at it. So to fix the problem, I went out and purchased the stuff in the tiny cans that cost about the same per ounce as gold. At first they liked it and gobbled that shit right up. Then last week all together, they decided even that wasn't up to their standards. In fact after putting out the food this morning, one of them took a whiff of the little pile of expensive stuff in her bowl, and started scratching around it as if she were burying one of her turds.

Spoiled rotten cats, and spoiled husband. From now on I don't care if the cats don't like what's in the bowl. If it's that bad, maybe they can start killing some rats around here. I hear they're very tasty. And as for Mark, I am not buying a nice new car. I don't care how embarrassed he is driving the PT Cruiser. It gets him to and from the mall just fine, and it's paid for.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe there was something wrong with the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why doesn't he buy a new car instead of piles of crap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEOW MIX. feral cats seem to love it. That is the only human provided food my porch cats will eat. They also like the squirrels, birds, rabbits and small rodents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try feeding them at different times like 2 pm or 4 pm or 8pm instead of just in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garrett, they eat around seven in the morning, snack on dry food around one in the afternoon, and have a late dinner around ten at night. Too much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My greatest wish is that Mark receive a new car. I just can't believe you are denying us both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cats eat canned food between 2pm and 4 pm and sometimes in the evening around 7pm or 8 pm. I give them dry food before I go to sleep. Maybe you are feeding them too much. You know, like Mark does to you. he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, he's only wrecked the PT Cruiser once. It still has eight lives left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you,Alan! It's paid for....

    ReplyDelete