Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Caesar, and Harry, and Spike

Many times, when I have gone to walk dogs at Abandoned Pet Rescue, I've wondered, where did this particular dog come from? Who did he live with? Did this good girl spend her nights curled up at the foot of somebody's bed, secure in the safety of a good home? How on earth did you end up here, in a cage, at our shelter?

Two years ago APR took in a sweet old German Sheppard/Malamute mix. He had matted fur and a bad odor about him. It seemed as though he was on his last legs. Despite all that he was the nicest, most easy going dog in the shelter. Walking him was as easy as taking a stroll down the street, never pulling on his leash, and following me like a lamb. He was one of those dogs I wondered about. He had obviously been somebody's loved pet. His gentleness made that clear.

The shelter employees named him Caesar. Most of us didn't think Caesar would make it, he had lost so much fur, and his health was so bad. After many months of care by the APR staff, Caesar's skin and fur problems cleared up, and his health improved greatly. Despite his health improvements, Caesar always seemed somewhat depressed. Laying in his cage, and barely eating.

About two and a half years ago there was a woman in the Fort Lauderdale area who was suffering at the hands of her husband. Apparently one day she decided she wasn't going to take it any longer and escaped the brutality, moving to the safety of another part of the country. Unfortunately in her haste, she had to leave her two dogs behind, two sibling dogs named Spike and Harry. In one last expression of meanness, the husband opened the door and kicked both dogs out to the street.

Over two years later the woman was on the internet, looking at dog photos from the various animal shelters around Fort Lauderdale. When she clicked on Abandoned Pet Rescue, she saw the photo of Caesar. Through careful comparison between the photos of her dogs, and the photo of Caesar, she realized it was Harry. Caesar was, is, Harry. She had found one of her beloved dogs, alive, and in the safety of a no kill shelter.

Over the last couple of weeks APR has been accepting contributions to finance the shipment of Harry across the country, back to his owner. This past weekend Harry was taken aboard a cross country semi-truck driven by a truck driving couple who volunteer with a group called Operation Roger. He was transported by the two drivers, a husband and wife, and their four dogs, in the cab of the truck all the way across country, to his loving owner.

Harry is home now. It was reported that he recognized his 'mom', and covered her with kisses, something he never did in his cage at the shelter. Already they say he's showing more snap in his walk, and eating more. Unfortunately nobody knows what happened to his brother, Spike, but at least Harry made it home.

When I first volunteered for Abandoned Pet Rescue, I never figured I'd feel this good, or this sad for Spike. With every new dog I ask "How did this one get here?" and too often it's through animal control. No history is known. That's when I peer into their eyes and wonder, "How did you get here?"


For even more about Harry, Click Here

6 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful writer, thanks for a great start to my day.
    jackie
    bliss farm antiques

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan, I am so glad you did the follow up on that story. I contributed and was hoping that Harry made it home. This is the end of the story that I wanted to hear. Thanks for being there for the dogs and thanks for making me cry this early in the day!! I often wonder how my dogs got to the shelters where we got them from, but after 9 years with us, I don't think they ever had it better. Shelter dogs are the best friends in the world. And I know that everynight when I get home from work they are there to give me an excited, warm greeting, no matter what went on during the day.I hope Harry's mom can make up for these years of sadness he went through. Thanks again for being there for the dogs - Nice to know there are good and kind people who care about animals. It's nicer to know that you are my brother and you are that person. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goddamn it Alan. I was all ready to be surly all afternoon and now I'm a mushy doe-eyed fuzz ball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the more reason to support our animal shelters, especially no-kill shelters, rather than pet shops, puppy mills, and from professional breeders.

    Cat and dog breeders, in my opinion, are much of the cause of our current pet over population and the cause of so many homeless pets to be euthanized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan thanks for such a heartwarming story. Didn't expect to tear up this morning when I read it but it is such a wonderful story. I'm proud of you for caring so much for these poor animals. I know they are all so happy to see you coming when you're there to take them for walkies-the sense the good guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I do is take the dogs for a walk, and occasionally take one out to a 'meet and greet' on a Saturday. The meet and greets are like when we sit in front of Whole Foods for a few hours and let folks see the dogs and cats. We get quite a few adopted that way.

    The people who do the heavy work are the APR employees, all wonderful, dedicated people.

    ReplyDelete