Monday, September 20, 2010

The Less Fluffy Chair

I was sitting back in my big fluffy chair, slogging through the five hundred hours of television I have queued up on my DVR, and the phone rings.

"I'm at Home Goods, and I've found the prefect recliner chair. Do you want me to come and get you so you can try it out?"  It was Mark calling from the jungles of shopping mall land.

My first impulse was to be irritated, because my most treasured times are when Mark has disappeared on one of his shopping safaris. It's one of the few times I get to relax in the unusual quietness of a Mark free home, and watch whatever the hell I want on television without him talking through the entire show. However, I've been wanting a new chair for a long time now so I agreed, "Sure, come on and pick me up." Thirty minutes later I'm standing in Home Goods, looking at a nice little recliner chair.

"Go ahead, try it out."
I maneuver the thing out of it's display area, into the aisle, and plop down in it. At first impression it seems fine, then I give it the Sunday football test, and lean back. Suddenly the thing has shrunk. My feet are hanging out over the end of the foot rest, and my head is flopping around where there should be support.
"It's too damn small. This thing is for a midget, not a full grown man.", and before Mark can sputter out a protest, I'm halfway to the exit.

Mark doesn't give up easily. Since he was driving, I became his prisoner, and was zipped off first to Carl's Furniture, where everything looked as if it had been trapped in a time warp, and then to Rooms To Go. At RTG at least there was a large selection of recliners to choose from, and I suddenly went into my Goldilocks mode.

"This one is too big, it's Rush Limbo sized. This one is hideous, it looks like somebody's ass cheeks.", and on, and on it went. Finally, I turned a corner, and there it was. Good color, looks like the right size, and wait....   I sat down, leaned back, and the angel's sang.
"This one is just right."

"Sir, that chair is on sale for $244 with another twenty percent off today."
And again the angels sang.

9 comments:

  1. How nice of you to get Chandler a new chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. should show Chandler's hair all over it just fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That butt area looks a little small for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the story of Goldie Locks with more booze...read it to me again before I go to sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found it's too hard to get out of that chair if I drink too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should have gotten one with a power-booster-upper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan: Help, I've reclined and I can't get up!

    Alan to Mark: Oh! you want to go shopping? Just leave me here then dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rush "Limbo" - *rofl*

    Glad you darling dog got a fancy recliner chair.
    Was about time, I'd say. *woof*

    ReplyDelete