Monday, December 13, 2010

The Floating Pile Of Crap

"Are you going to bake some bread?", I said, noticing that the bread making machine had been removed from it's spot on the floor of my office.
"No, I'm trying to de-clutter your office for you."
Great, I thought, maybe all the crap that has been stuffed in my office to make room for Christmas, will get tossed or moved. Maybe I'll actually be able to walk around in there.

In our house there is what I call the floating pile of crap. It consists of boxes, unwanted furniture, and various other useless things that Mark has purchased and forgotten about. At some point the pile may be out in the sun room giving the cats a nice place to hide, or it may be scattered about two or three rooms. The scattering ploy is how Mark tries to make it look like it's less than it is. Anyway, at this moment the floating pile of crap is in my office.

"I was thinking that you could move all that stuff in your office, out to the shed.", Mark shouted from the other room.
Ah yes, the shed. The shed I built so that we would have extra storage space, or as Mark would have it, a place for him to stuff the things he's lost interest in. The shed, a place to make room for his latest shopping spree. The shed that I cleaned out a couple of years ago because it had gotten completely out of hand. That right there is the big problem. If I clean something out, like the laundry room, the shed, the sun room, my office, it only means to Mark that he has that much more room. It creates a space that is screaming at him to fill with useless junk that he just had to buy.
"It was on sale. I couldn't pass it up. Sure we don't need ten cases of votive candles right now, but what if there's a hurricane?"

So that's how it went from my thinking that I might have some homemade bread, to me cleaning out this filthy shed. Of course there's always the 'yard sale' that Mark has been talking about for the last five years. Just as I'm thinking about all the money we'd get from that yard sale, I open a box that was sitting on a shelf in the shed. Immediately, hordes of insects, big, gigantic ant like creatures with wings, swarm out of the box and up my arms.

7 comments:

  1. How about another shed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could nominate him for Horders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark is no where close to those hoarders on that show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone once told me that if you don't use something in six month that you really don't need it.

    As I find things to donate to the local thrift stores, I place them in my car. This makes it convenient to de-clutter.

    Simplify

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Garrett, that would allow Mark to buy new Christmas crap every year, since it comes around every twelve months.

    Also, doesn't your car get pretty cluttered?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my car does get cluttered so then I am forced to unload it at the thrift store. Since I'm planning on moving back to Florida I don't want to schlep all that stuff back also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try Craig's list for the bigger stuff and E-Bay for the smaller stuff. Dedicate the money to something important such as,paying off your mortage or replacing an important appliance that is old, inefficient,and ready to fail.

    ReplyDelete