Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's Still Warmer Here

I knew it must be pretty cold out this morning when I woke up to find one dog wedged under my pillow, the other one curled up between Mark and me, and the two cats squeezed in between. Just the fact that the cats were allowing Chandler to touch them was remarkable. At seven thirty this morning, when I stepped outside to feed the two outdoor cats, the thermometer read thirty four degrees (1 degree for the rest of the world). I fully expected to find Britney kitty and Lindsey kitty ice skating on the pool. But no, they were both safe and sleeping in the entrance hall, and the pool had no crust of ice on top of it.



It's funny how much of a pussy folks from up north become after living in Florida for a few years.
"Ewww, below fifty degrees tonight? I don't think I'll survive."
Just to walk the dog around the block, I bundle up in layers of shirts, sweat shirts, a big heavy coat, gloves, and a stocking hat. Meanwhile, visitors from Chicago are wandering around town in shorts, flip flops, and in a nod to the cold, their best Chicago Bears sweat shirt.

I know we have it good here in the winter. By Wednesday it will be back up into the seventies, and we will forget all about this morning. I also know that when it's a bit chilly down here in Florida, it is miserable up north, which is a good thing. It means all you folks will be swarming down here soon. Just be sure to bring a lot of money, and leave Mark a parking space when you go out to the bars. He gets real pissy if he has to circle around too many times.

11 comments:

  1. Alan, you are so right about the cold. You have no idea. I feel terrible when I have to let my dog outside at 5:30 AM and the temp is 1 degree. He tries to get done as soon as possible, but ends up limping back to the house with frozen paws. I have considered getting him boots, but I know he won't have anything to do with it. We have some Robins outside of our office (why they didn't leave town with the rest of their friends is a mystery). They have already lost one, frozen feet up in the air,and the rest are looking shaky! So enjoy the balmy 34 degrees. I'll be happy when it gets to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep my citrus warm, Alan. Put all the oranges you can carry in bed with that cute new addition in that pic. It's colder than a witches tit in a brass brassier up here in Philly in case you were wondering, but I'm warm and tingly inside because the Phillies signed Cliff Lee, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the extra "E" for my bra from the last comment. *&#$ing 4th grade spelling...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look out, the grammar/spelling cop patrols this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 34 degrees! Enjoy your early Christmas gift from us northerns.

    wusses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see, Chicago 15 degrees Friday A.M. with snow showers. Just how many are sick with a cold,have sinusitis, and a running nose with let see... dried out skin. Now tomorrow in Fort Lauderdale it is clear and in the 70's. Who are the smart "wusses" and "wimps".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I walked outside to my heated car in 0 degree temp today and drove to a heated store.

    In Florida you walk outside to your cool air conditioned car in 9o degree temp and drive to an cool air conditioned store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last Anonymous, true, but in Florida you don't have to scrape the humidity off the windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No frost on the windshield when you use the remote start you got for Xmas last year! Best invention ever! Anyhow, I can layer my clothes to keep warm up here but to live in Florida in the summer...well, you wouldn't want me to go "bikini"!! I refuse to complain about the cold when I live in a nice warm house and have a good excuse to hibernate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, as for the upper respiratory colds group...start taking Halls Defense Zinc lozenges at the first sign and you can forestall the whole cold syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete