Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Crazy Old Bastard

I'm standing at the side of the road trying to coax a turd out of Sasha, when a large SUV comes speeding towards us. Now I used to scream at such people to slow down, but I was getting the reputation of being that crabby old guy, so now I just make the international hand gesture to slow down. By that I don't mean the middle finger, I save that for when they scream out the car window at me. I mean my hand held out flat, palm down, moving in a downward motion signaling for them to slow down. So I gave this guy in the SUV the signal, and he smiled and waved back at me as he sped by. He thought I was being a nice neighbor and waving hello.

I've bugged the city for years about the speeding through here. I've sent emails, talked to the city officials in person, and brought the subject up at neighborhood meetings, still the assholes come barreling down the road. If you are in the car it seems that five miles over the limit is reasonable, but if you are the guy wrestling with a dog who's spotted a squirrel, it can be scary. It would be different if we had sidewalks like in a civilized place, but we don't. We have to share the road with cars. It's like trying to walk your dog down the Indianapolis Speedway, while cars are qualifying for a race.

I've suggested stop signs at every corner.
"No good, people will just drive through without stopping." was the answer.
Speed bumps? "Too costly."
A cop with a radar gun? See previous answer.

So I think I might just return to the more confrontational method. Screaming at the morons to slow down. Florida just passed an open carry law, meaning you can strap on a gun like in the old wild west. I think a yelling, arm waving, crazy old bastard, walking down the street with a gun, just might do it.

8 comments:

  1. Coaxing cars to slow doesn't work so I'm betting coaxing turds out of Sasha doesn't work either. Same finger used for both confrontational/invasive maneuvers? If so you will be the reining King of Crazy on the block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is how you coax a turd out of Sasha. You gently steer her to a nice patch of neighbors grass. You then have to keep nudging her back to it every time she tries to wander off towards the pavement. When you get her going in a circle it will just be a matter of seconds before she squats, and delivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they sell speed bumps at Lowe's. It's probably illegal, but you could install one in front of your house. But, I like the gun idea better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about suggesting simple orange-black striped wooden saw horse barricades installed on either side of the street for the length of your street so the the cars have to slow down to maneuver around them like an obstacle course? Or you can carry a video camera with you and record them speeding past you. Be sure to record their license plate number. Then present it to the commissioners and the police.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passed an open carry law? This country is going to hell faster than I thought it would! Be careful Alan - hopefully one of those speeders won't be carrying a gun when you scream at them to slow down. HOLY CRAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dress in dark blue T-shirt, blue trousers, shiney shoes and aviator sunglasses. Then find something that looks like a radar gun (some kind of video camera would do double duty), set up a lawn chair and start pointing. Watch them slam on their brakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've pondered throwing the bag of Chandler's dog shit at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have Alexis dressed as a hooker walk the dog. That'll slow them down.

    ReplyDelete