Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On The Left!

Earlier this month I hurt my knee painting the living room, and I've found that my dog Chandler, does not give a damn. In fact he likes it. He seems to have figured out that daddy isn't anchored very well anymore, and he's taken to chasing down just about anything that moves when we go walkies. I used to be able to dig in and give his leash a little yank when he would see a squirrel or a lizard darting up a tree. Now he knows that all he has to do is run for it, and I come crashing along after him, unable to lock my knees and pull him back.

The worst is when he sees a bicycle. I try to control Chandler by bending over him, repeating the words "No, no, no" and "Good dog", as the bicyclist rides by. Usually, if I have enough advance warning, that works just fine, and he just gives out a little snarl. What I can't control are the stupid assholes who come zipping out of nowhere, with their spandex shorts, alien shaped helmets, and healthier than thou attitudes. Usually they are going a good thirty miles per hour, and ride those very expensive bikes that make no sound other than the whoosh of air as they go by. In less than a nano-second Chandler is tearing after them. All I have time to do is bend my injured knee, and hope I don't get too much road rash when I hit the pavement.

I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow. The pills he gave me aren't working. I just hope I can get this knee problem taken care of soon, because I really don't want to end up a cripple. I talked to my mom on Sunday and she was telling me about her new Hoveround scooter. It sounds like fun, but I don't think that would be of much help for me. Chandler would just turn around and chase me. He hates those things too.

5 comments:

  1. The pills won't work. Hire a dog walker before you end up with a walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are sounding like an old Florida fart. I won't keep you though, the early bird specials are starting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for knee replacement??? We do have bad knee genes...just ask you 2 older sibs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I am an old Florida fart, or at least some kind of fart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the gel injected into my knees in October and it was like a miracle. Unfortunately it only lasts 6 months, but they were pain free! Time to do it again in April. I'll let you know how it works the second time. No Peggy, I am not ready for replacement YET!

    ReplyDelete