Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hurry Up, I Gotta Go!

When we first got Sasha, I thought it was hilarious when Mark would come out of his bathroom shrieking,
"There's dog piss and shit in my shower!"
I'd make jokes, and mock him for being so sensitive about it.
"You have to clean it up, I'll vomit.", he'd tell me.
"It's just a little piddle, and a tiny turd, you big baby."
Well, it's not so funny now as I stand in the middle of a puddle of pee, in front of the mirror. It seems that Sasha has found my bathroom, and she finds it easier to do her thing in there than trudging all the way back to the bedroom shower.

Sasha was given to us with a sob story about her owner getting sick, and having to move our of her house, into a studio apartment. I now have doubts about that story, and I think I know the real reason Sasha was orphaned. She pees in the house. The previous owner had her for only a year, and then 'had to give her up'. Probably because she got tired of stepping in dog piss.

I've always heard you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I really have to teach her this one. Only pee outside. No pooping, and no peeing in the house. It's not like I never take her out. I take her out at regular times, three times a day, and let her out the back door whenever she gets that far away look in her eyes. Today it was the rain. She stepped out front and as soon as the first drop of moisture fell out of the sky onto her face, she put on the brakes. I tried dragging her, coaxing her, and carrying her to the grass, but she refused to do anything outside. She just stood there, all fours firmly planted, giving me that screw you look she's so good at.

I will never give her up. I couldn't do that to such a sweet little dog, but I need advice on how to house train her. The biggest problem with all this is that I have never, ever, seen her pee in the house. I can't seem to catch her doing it. Anyway, like I said, she has a home forever here, pee or no pee. After all, my mom kept me, and I pissed my pants for way too many years.

8 comments:

  1. those little dogs are like ninjas. And they are pathetic when the weather's not "just right".That look! Like "you don't go out in the rain/snow/dark" HOW can you DO this to me? Then they plot the ninja pee/poo attack. My mom's teacup poodle takes forever to find the perfect spot, gets in 'position' and if the wind blows, I swear, she gives up that spot and roams around again for what seems like forever and god forbid if there are leaves on the grass.
    Seriously, try the wee wee pads. If she'll train onto those, you can eventually move them closer to outside and hopefully she'll get the hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do those 'wee wee' pads attract the dog to do it on them, or do I have to train her to go on those? It seems like I would have to double train her in that case. First on the pad, then out the door.
    Hmmmm... a doggy door. I wonder if she'd use it? No, wouldn't work. Chandler would be in and out constantly hunting lizards and I'd have three cats roaming in and out at will, not to mention the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you. Our older lab had that problem late in his life...
    On a happier note, try peeing on the pad first to show Sasha how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's why she's peeing in my bathroom. I sometimes miss the target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.porchpotty.com/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sixth_Phase_(Old)

    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7mLedZNNbWoAjeVXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&fr=slv8-yie9&p=dog+potty+grass&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOK UP DOG POTTY GRASS ON GOOGLE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan, I love your heart and I know how you feel. The first week I had ZOE I cried everyday...she was a terror! Steve asked me what I was going to do and I sobbed "I'm going to live with my mistake...." But here we are 3 years later and things have worked out...I just had to be trained!!
    Seriously, you need to take BOTH of your "kids" to training school, Chandler may need remedial work to learn not to whip you off your feet and the trainers are usually good with suggestions for housebreaking. OR you could get her doggy-diapers!

    ReplyDelete