Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Enforcer, and Early Warning

When we were kids you could leave your doors unlocked, leave your windows wide open, and know that when you came back home everything would be just as you left it. That's not so easy to do any more. Here in our neighborhood somebody has been breaking into cars, and a couple of my neighbors have had their homes broken into. Even though they had alarms, the burglars still got in. Yet here at our house, most of the time the back door is unlocked, windows are left open, and on some occasions even the front door is an open invitation to walk right in. Usually it's because Mark is lax with security, but sometimes I knowingly leave windows open when I go out. It's cheaper than running the air-conditioning. How do I have the temerity to do this? Sasha, and Chandler.

Sasha has a nickname. It's 'Early Warning'. Her ears can pick up the click of the front gate before the latch has cleared the stop. That's when the high pitched yelping begins, warning any intruder that he has been detected. If the burglar still tries to come, Sasha's yaps will have awakened Chandler, 'The Enforcer'. When he hears the early warning, he will start with his deep, throaty barking. Both dogs together are a formidable deterrent to anyone looking to break into this house. They are scary, I know. I've had the piss scared out of me on more than one occasion as they both burst into their repertoire, barking madly at a tenant on his way to the laundry room. Of course the fact that one of the tenants, Russell, teases them every time they start barking at him doesn't help. In fact last night Russell mooned them through my lovely new living room window. It took five minutes for me to calm Sasha down, and a whole bottle of artificial tears to wash out my eyes.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a full moon out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that Russell really cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you say about Russell's crack???

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Who is talking about that?

    You-Mind-Gutter

    ReplyDelete