Tuesday, August 16, 2011

City Life

I’m staying at a friend's apartment here in Chicago, which is great because the building has an in-house pay laundry. Friday I got up at six thirty in the morning, walked the dogs, and then took a bunch of dirty clothes down to the laundry room. To get there you have to go outside and walk around to the side of the building. As I rounded the corner I almost tripped over a man sleeping on the sidewalk. Now this isn’t a bad neighborhood, nor is it the best. The mayor of Chicago lives just four blocks away, so I was a bit surprised at a homeless guy snoozing out there on the concrete. He wasn’t drunk, just sleeping. On my way back up to the apartment, I stopped and asked him why he chose the hard sidewalk over the grass. He opened his mouth to talk, and with a toothless grin told me, “The grass is too wet. I know it’s softer, but it’s just too wet.”

I went back upstairs, but I couldn’t help thinking about that guy. I know it looks awful to have bums sleeping next to your building, but for some reason I felt bad for him. So after fifteen minutes I decided I’d bring him breakfast. I cooked up a hotdog, put it on a bun with some mustard, and took it on down. When I got out there the building janitor was in front puttering around, and other neighbors were walking by. My bum was still sleeping on the sidewalk, but I realized I couldn’t feed him. Not one of those folks out there would have been happy with my feeding homeless people. After all, it’s just like the cats I have in my back yard. Feed them once and they never leave. I totally chickened out, so I went into the laundry room and ate the hotdog myself. I’m surprised I didn’t choke on it.

10 comments:

  1. You should only feel bad if it was one of those really good looking Chicago-style hotdogs with all the fixings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoulda fed him. Your gut said feed him. What if he's one of your cats reincarnated?
    What are the neighbors gonna do...ban you from the neighborhood.You should have fed him and given him the address of the mayor.Sent him on his way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, you have a kind heart.

    LOL at the hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your Catholic guilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, later I gave him a handful of money, but only when I saw him over on Clark Street. Away from the apartment building.

    Not Catholic guilt, just guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. he probably got a nice pint o whiskey. At least ya know what your gettin in that as opposed to a hot dog. Cow lips anyone? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how he feels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe if he threw a bottle at your back door you would have adopted him for 12 years. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pint o whiskey? No, he wasn't Irish, and I never saw him drunk. His name is Tommy, and Sasha and he liked each other. If a dog likes you, you can't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete