Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mom

‘Missed call, from Lila.’ ‘Voice mail received.’ These two notices are on my phone when I finally decide to pick it up. I check the voice mail first, and it’s my mom. A very terse voice, one that I have heard many times in my life, comes on, “Where are you? Why haven’t you called? It’s Friday.”
I am immediately taken back in time. I am twelve years old again, and I’ve done something wrong, again. Apparently I promised to call mom the minute Mark and I got to Chicago. I don’t remember that, but if she says it’s so, it’s so. She has called my brother, and one of my sisters, and the all points is out for me because I also have calls from them. ‘Ma called, where are you?’, my brother has emailed me.

It’s amazing how we are trained like dogs from birth to fear mom. I love my mom, but as soon as I hear her ‘angry’ voice, my blood runs cold. So it was that I went to the wedding we were both to attend on Saturday, with a bit of trepidation. Sure enough, when I came up to her, she gave me her patented icy stare. “Did my voice mail sound angry?”, she asked. Yes, yes it did, and when I told her this, her face lit up with joy. Apparently nothing satisfies a mother more, than knowing that even at the age of eighty nine, she can still rattle her sixty one year old son.

4 comments:

  1. So true, so true! Great pictures of you and your mom. Hope you enjoyed the wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks so great! I would never believe she is 89. She has aged gracefully. I wish I could meet her again.

    ps I guess pearl necklaces run in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'He knows who I am'August 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM

    As a well-trained Mom, I use a "special" code for MY missing son....."Dead or Alive?" I leave that simple message on his phone and he knows it has been too long since I last heard from him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we know what Alicia will look like when she's 89.

    ReplyDelete