Tuesday, August 23, 2011

With or Without Spit?

On our way home from Chicago we decided to get lunch, and get gassed up. Luckily we could do both at the Fort Pierce, Florida, McDonalds.

For three weeks we had been spoiled. Waiters and waitresses treated us like customers, store clerks were attentive, and when we went to fast food establishments the help not only seemed happy we were there, but got our orders correct. Now things were different. We had crossed the border from the Southern United States, and entered the third world country known as South Florida.

My order was fairly simple, "Two number ones, and a plain burger." The plain burger being for the dogs. After quite a wait the young Hispanic man finally handed me a heavy bag of food, then turned and continued to jabber away in Spanish to his fellow workers.

"What the fuck is this?", Mark screamed at me. In his hand he held a Big Mac carton with a label on it that read 'Plain'. This is why I should have really tried harder to learn Spanish. The girl who took my order misunderstood, and gave us two plain Big Macs, and no plain burger for the dogs. Naturally Mark stormed back into the place and raised a stink, and after another long wait was handed another heavy bag of food. This time two regular Big Macs, but still no plain burger.
"Sir, I will have to charge you for an additional burger if I give you another one."

This happens every time we go to a fast food joint here in South Florida. Not sometimes, but every single time. The burger flippers, and cashiers are always either Haitian, or Hispanic. English is always their second language, and they speak it about as good as I speak Spanish. I have tried to order in Spanish, but it always turns out wrong.
"Uno hamburgesa, y uno bebida grande."
"Que?"
"Hamburgesa, carne. Bebida, Coke. Comprende?"
"Que?"
"Donde es su el bosso?"
"Que?"
"Usted el estupido puta."

The service you get in stores, and restaurants here is one of the reasons I hate Florida so much. They are rude, stupid, and seem to hate the very fact that you have interrupted their day, yet every counter seems to have that little tip jar sitting there. And then there is the other reason I hate Florida. Hurricanes.

7 comments:

  1. We order extra burgers for our dogs too. Thankfully, we don't have to deal with a language barrier, but the attitude is the same.

    I thought about you guys when I watched the news this morning. Hope that fucker dies before it gets to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. That last time I ordered in McDonalds in Miami many decades ago I was looked at like some kind of foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad that people don't give a shit anymore about giving good service when you're in a service job. Many moons ago, when I worked at that M Place, I forgot to give someone utensils with his pancake breakfast. He got a free breakfast the next day. And anyone in a uniform (cop, fireman, serviceman/woman) never paid for their food/drink. (we had a very generous manager/owner)That was over 30 yrs ago. Probably don't see that today.
    That damn hurricane might make a run at us too. Hoping something pushes it out into the Atlantic before it gets to you or me.
    Barb (who still can't remember google sign in - and doesn't necessarily want to)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alan -
    No sooner commented to you about hurricanes and VA gets an earthquake that was felt up here too. Not by me personally, but all around CT.
    Crazy.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think of Lucy and Ricky moving to the country when I think of Connecticut. Not earth quakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that petroleum-derivitive product that they call "cheese" and they put on the burger. I always ask them "NO CHEESE." They ALWAYS give me cheese. I have never gotten my order correctly at a fast-food place. That's why I eat there maybe once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The language barrier isn't only in south Florida, we deal with it here in Chicagoland too! All the fast-food workers are "foreigners" and I wonder if that is because middle-class teens are "too good" to work??!

    ReplyDelete