Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wired

Sunday we had a nice little birthday dinner for a friend. Mark made some barbeque ribs, macaroni and cheese, and fried green tomatoes. It was delicious. While Mark was in the kitchen I noticed a jar of Pilon coffee. 
"What's this for?", I said knowing that Pilon was the main ingredient for Cuban Coffee.
 "The birthday cake. I'm making coffee flavored frosting."
Now I can take caffeine. I can drink a Diet Coke, take a couple of caffeine loaded Excedrin's, or sip some tea just before bedtime, and sleep like a baby. For some reason the caffeine in coffee is different. It keeps me awake. And if that coffee is Cuban Coffee, I can stay awake for up to two days straight.
"Don't worry, I'm only using a couple of teaspoons in it.", Mark assured me.

I don't know why people even bother with meth. It is two o'clock in the morning, and I am wired. Not only am I wired, but Mark is laying on the other side of the bed vibrating. Mark has a peculiar thing that happens to him when he can't sleep. He jiggles. His legs bounce around, his arms flip, and the whole bed simply quivers.
"I thought you only put two spoonfuls of coffee in that cake."
"More or less."
"I think more is the answer."

So there we were, the two of us wide awake, with a gigantic dog stretched out, and sound asleep between us. Laying across the top of my head, on my pillow was Sasha, also sound asleep. Yet the bed kept shaking.
"Just stop that wiggling around over there and maybe we can fall asleep.", I begged Mark. The bed kept shaking.
like I said, I don't understand why meth heads don't just do Cuban Coffee.

4 comments: