Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Comida Mexicana


Dinner
Mark has been feeling ill since early this past weekend. I hate it when Mark is ill because that means I'm on my own when it comes to meals. Breakfast I can handle. A bowl of cereal isn't that hard to prepare, unless I intend to slice up some strawberries to put on it. Then it enters the realm of cooking for me. I hate cooking as much as Mark loves it. Anyway, for the last four days, because of Mark's sickness, I have had to prepare dinner. Saturday it was hot dogs. Sunday it was cheeseburgers, which is a real stretch for me since that involves all kinds of preparation. Like forming ground beef into patties. Monday was Pizza, which is really easy since I have Times Square Pizza on speed dial. It didn't matter, Mark didn't really eat anything that I put in front of him. Finally, yesterday, Mark informed me that he was feeling better. Great! I thought. Mark's going to make dinner tonight. But no, he wasn't. He was feeling better, meaning he felt like eating but not cooking, and he had a craving for Mexican food. So I got in the car, and in rush hour traffic, in a driving rain storm, I drove to our new favorite Mexican Restaurant. Tortilleria Mexicana. It's not just a restaurant, it's a Mexican grocery, a Mexican novelty store, and a religious bric-a-brac shop with a large Our Lady of Guadalupe section, but surprisingly no Pope Francisco paraphernalia. They do have a photo of Pope Benedict though.

I am so glad I found this Mexican restaurant. It has the three elements that make for the best Mexican food. It is slightly scary to the average Anglo, with lots of sketchy people hanging around. Most of the help speak only the minimum of English, so I have to think very hard about what I'm ordering. And best of all, they make their refried beans with lard. Yes, lard. Most of the Mexican places that cater to gringos have given in to the vegan, hipster crowd and have cut out the lard. Because of that, refried beans in most Mexican restaurants taste like crap. Literally, they taste like crap... and kind of look like it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment