Friday, September 11, 2015

Truckin' Like the Doo Dah Man

One of the trucking companies my dad worked for


Yesterday Mark and I went to U-Haul and reserved a truck, a giant truck. I have to admit, I find it kind of exciting. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a truck driver. The romance of the open road, the brotherhood of drivers united by a common bond and a CB radio. Truck stop food, truck stop prostitutes, truck stop showers, hemorrhoids. Hmmm... anyway, the closest I ever came was as a delivery van driver in Chicago. You see, my dad worked for trucking companies for about forty years. Not as a driver, but in other capacities. Often Dad would take us to work with him, where I would be in awe of the giant semi-trucks pulling in and out of the terminal. I wanted to do that, and now I'll have my chance. It won't be a semi, and it won't garner the respect of the real truck drivers on the road, but I can delude myself for a little while in a twenty foot, brightly colored, orange U-Haul truck. And just so everybody won't be too worried, I have enlisted the aid of Mark's younger brother to do most of the driving. He has a commercial driver's license, and is licensed to drive a big rig. Because you really didn't think Mark or I would be driving that thing all the way to Chicago, did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment