Thursday, January 11, 2018

A Place to Put Mom


I went out to visit Mom again this week. She looks good. Her color is back, her legs look normal, and she didn't seem as angry as she was the past few weeks. I think she's even accepting her live in helper a little bit now. Seriously, Mom was adamant that she did not want that woman living in her home. She told me that Tanya was too bossy and that she did not like being bossed around. So welcome to my pre-eighteen year old life, Mom. I explained the alternative to her, that either Tanya lives there and takes care of her or she goes to the 'home'. But I understand. When you get used to living on your own and being the boss of your life, it's difficult to accept a lady with a Bulgarian accent commanding you to, "Eat. You must eat the food!" Mom might not appreciate Tanya, but her children think she's the greatest. Tanya is the reason Mom has rebounded from her serious illness two months ago.

It is a blessing that we can afford a live-in caretaker for Mom. And for Mom it is a blessing that we care enough about her to hire one. Just yesterday I was watching television and an ad came on for a company called, 'Let's Put Mom Someplace' (Not the real name). What the hell is that? I assume it's some kind of place where you can drop off your elderly mom and not worry about her... ever again. I picture a warehouse sort of place with little single room apartments, kind of like the self storage place Mark and I used before we sold our house. Maybe they even chip them, like the dog, just in case mom gets a yen for some wine and wanders off property. Seriously, if Mom thinks Tanya is a pain in the ass and is too bossy, just let her get a load of big Bertha the "nurse" at 'Let's Put Mom Someplace'...  (Once again, not the real name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment