Friday, January 26, 2018

Serial Cereal



When I was a kid, I ate cereal almost every morning. It would range from Frosted Flakes to Wheat Chex, Cheerios to Corn Flakes. Except for Life cereal (I hear it killed Mikey.) and Captain Crunch, which sucked, I liked all cereal. The problem arose when I would get to the bottom of the box. You almost never got a full bowl of cereal from the end of the box, and my mom would never allow us to throw that last bit of cereal out. So we would have to combine what was left of our favorite cereal with the newly opened box of our second choice. Sometimes it would work out okay, such as Frosted Flakes with Kellogg's Corn Flakes. You could simply add a few mounds of sugar on top to counter the lack of sweetness in the Corn Flakes. Cheerios and Fruit Loops could be combined with little fall off in fruitiness, but never Cheerios and Corn Flakes. And Frosted Flakes with any Chex product was disgusting. The biggest problem with combining the last of one box with fresh cereal from a new box, were the crumbs. You had to be very careful not to dump all those crumbs into the bowl, as they would float on top of the milk and could gag you as they went down your throat.

My mom would be proud of me this morning. I had three boxes of cereal open with not enough in any of them for a full bowl. So, I combined Frosted Shredded Wheat with Corn Chex, and some Fruit Loops. It was horrible, but I ate it all. Well most all of it. Scout helped mop up the milk and crumbs at the bottom of the bowl.

2 comments: