Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Hole



I have about half a dozen unfinished projects around the house. At some point in the progression of a project, I get overwhelmed and push it out of my mind. I have some touch up painting on the walls that needs to be taken care of, but I just keep the lights low so you can't see it. That seems to keep Mark off my ass for now. In the basement are at least three things that need finishing. Right now I can blame the cold for not following up on those because there is no heat in the basement other than ambient heat from the boiler room. My worst half finished job is in the bathroom. I can't hide from it, I can't hide it from Mark. He looks at it every day and gives me reminders, from subtle digs to outright yelling about it. What happened is that I took down the bathroom mirror so that I could install a new to us, used medicine cabinet. The medicine cabinet was found at a flea market and is the perfect fit for the age of our house. It has that authentic 1920s look. The problem is that the hole where it is supposed to go has been yawning at us for almost a year now because I can't get the old adhesive off the tile around it. Somebody had used Liquid Nails to attach the modern mirror that I took down, and Liquid Nails is very hard to remove. I am slowly moving towards finishing the job. I have a tool that I borrowed from a friend, I have a drop cloth, and I found my safety eye goggles yesterday. I have placed these items within a few feet of the bathroom so that if a sudden burst of energy comes over me, I will be ready to attack that job. That's my other problem, energy. In the morning as I shave and stare into the temporary mirror that I put up, I think to myself 'I'm going to do it. Today I'm going to finish this mirror business.' And then I eat breakfast, take a nap after breakfast, and in no time at all I find that it is nearly cocktail hour. Seems to happen every damn day.

No comments:

Post a Comment