Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Just a Temporary Thing


I guess it is human nature to think that you're invincible. I have reached a certain age where problems that pop up, like my bad vision, I like to think are just temporary aberrations. I like to believe that there are solutions, workarounds, and ways to get back to all my body parts working again. Joints can be replaced, organs transplanted, and then there is exercise. I have been going to a gym believing that exercise will restore my body to the toned perfection I enjoyed in my forties. Maybe it will.

Last evening I noticed that the dog's water bowl was nearly empty. It's a gigantic thing that holds a couple of gallons of water that the dogs seem to lap up daily. I carried the bowl into the kitchen where I intended to fill it. The sink had some dishes in it so I put the bowl on the counter and turned the faucet around to reach it there. Two gallons takes a long time to fill so I ran over to the bathroom to grab one of my blood pressure pills (A bothersome workaround). While I was there I noticed that the toilet paper was running out, so I reached up and grabbed three rolls off the top of the cabinet where we store them. I then washed my hands, straightened out the towels on the towel rack, put the toilet seat down that Mark always leaves up, and then looked in the mirror. Damn, a pimple. I seriously thought that I would never have a pimple again in my life after my twenty first birthday. It turns out that they like to pop up now and again, just to remind me of that giant one I had on my nose in 1966. As I exited the bathroom, I turned out the light and noticed the kitchen light was on. Goddamnit, Mark always leaves those lights on. Maybe if he had to pay the electric bill he wouldn't be so lax....    Wait a minute. What's that sound? Sounds like water pouring over the edge... OF THE COUNTER!!

I'm sure this memory thing is just a temporary aberration. I'm sure that with some vitamins and supplements my mind will be just as...   Hmmm, can't think of the word I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment