Monday, July 7, 2008

Is That One a Dud?


Well we made it through another Fourth of July, and this year it was quite a bit more tame than in the past. Instead of sounding like I was living in Baghdad, it was more like Beirut in 1982. First of all, the drunken crack heads who lived across the street moved out. They were always good for blowing off a small mountain of fireworks. Then the next door neighbors who always put on a fireworks display rivaling the city of Fort Lauderdale, went away for the weekend. Add to that, the fact that it rained most of the evening of the fourth and fireworks activity was seriously cut down. For once there weren't children running around with their clothes on fire, and drunks fighting over who gets to launch flaming rockets at my house.

What I don't understand is how given the fact that firecrackers and rockets are illegal in Florida, people can go to a store here in Dania Beach and buy anything they want that blows up. I have been to that store. The loophole that they use is a piece of paper that they have you sign promising that you won't use the powerful firecrackers you have just bought in the State of Florida. "No sir, I'm just passing through on my way to Cuba."

I'm just glad it's all over and Fat Kitty can come out of hiding in the closet. We won't have to worry about explosions and rockets now until New Years Eve, when it starts all over again. The only difference between Independence Day and New Years Eve, is that besides fireworks, the drunken assholes with guns decide it's a good idea to shoot them into the air. Now I don't know where they think those bullets go, but you can only hope the bullet goes straight up, and comes straight down on them.

8 comments:

  1. It was nice to hear things were better in your neighborhood. Were there city fireworks?

    I attended a "family" party and wine tasting in Bay City. It was a blast (no pun intended)hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't one fire cracker in my neighborhood. The only sounds came from Palm Springs fireworks display in the stadium, which is a couple of miles away. It was just enough for Sophie to look for me, but was over in 20 minutes. For us, that's it until Veterans Day, when they have a fireworks display at the O'Donnell golf course which is about 100 yards away. Last year that even scared me because I had no warning it was going to happen. That one makes my place shake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently all the assholes moved to Lombard, on my street! They were shooting off M-80's that lifted me right off the couch. My job was to see that the puppy was not scarred by this new noise shaking the house. I just don't get noise for noise sake (just like the BOOMING car sound systems),at least most fireworks are pretty....when they don't rain burning debris on your house and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, consider where you live. The average age is 65+. Most are in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew your neighborhood was dangerous when I came to help clean up after Hurricane Rita.I slept with a gun under my pillow since we had no lights and had to open windows.I did not realize the dangers were on going "drunken crack heads" "drunks fighting over who gets to launch flaming rockets at my house" "drunken assholes with guns".

    I do remember purchasing fire works one year with you in a town known for its horses in south Florida. Don't you remember, you were a sports promoter and were going to use the fireworks at a sporting event? Rat Races?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That town noted for horses is the town of Davie, Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 432.5 Longwood, Florida crime index 2006

    413.1 Wilton Manors, Florida crime index 2006

    The higher the number, the higher the crime. (City-Data.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, here we go again. Those are "your quotes", not mine.People reading the blog would assume that your neighborhood is dangerous.Your town in 2006 had 800 less people than our town. You had 76 violent crimes vs. our 95, you had 661 property crimes vs. our 677. FBI Uniform Crime Report.Not much difference, except if you read your description of your town.

    ReplyDelete