Monday, July 14, 2008

Mark's Revenge

When it comes to steak, I like mine rare. This is always a problem for Mark since he likes his the consistency of charred shoe leather, and it requires him to prepare our steaks differently. In fact, if there is even a hint of pink in Marks steak, he freaks out and throws it away.

We have other differences in taste that have also caused problems. For instance, I have a palate that cannot stand, spicy hot, foods, while Mark puts hot sauce on almost everything, eggs, potatoes, grits. He even puts hot sauce on hot peppers. I can't imagine what the lining of his stomach looks like. It probably has the same texture as his steaks.

Once in a while Mark tries to slip one past me, like last night, when he made delicious enchiladas with slow cooked pork and poblano peppers. I sat down to dinner and started to dig in. It was so good that I was half way through the first enchilada before I realized that my tongue was on fire, and hot embers were burning in my stomach. My first reaction was, 'maybe it isn't so spicy, I'll just eat more slowly'. By the time I was through with the enchilada, sweat was rolling down my neck and tears were welling up in my eyes.

Mark swears that the peppers he used were mild and he removed all the seeds, but what he doesn't say is how much hot sauce he might have put in it. All I know, is that I have been to the bathroom twice already today, and it is quite possible that I have an idea for an alternative fuel source for automobiles. I just don't know how to get it into the fuel tank.

3 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Flesh as food. I'm going to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have also inherited the "no-spicy-hot-food" gene. I don't understand the enjoyment of pain while one eats. My friends who are phenomenal cooks tried to slip me some super-hot meals at one point since one of them also seems to enjoy hot sauce. However, after my initial reaction they started mild and have been gradually increasing the levels and variety of spices in the food that they prepare for me and I think they have been able to successfully walk the fine line between flavor and pain... They have learned my tolerance precisely. And by teaching me to appreciate the flavor of certain spices they may have even pushed my tolerance for spicy-hot food a little further beyond my initial limits... Of course, you still get the unpleasant "alternative-fuel" side effects, just not as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of flesh! Nice job Mark, keep the food wus guessing.

    ReplyDelete