Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For The Record

I have to set something straight. I know I whine about Mark shopping just for the sake of shopping. I complain about the fact that he drives like it's 1905, and the automobile is some kind of mysterious contraption that he can't figure out. Yes, he has turned our place into one of those clutter filled homes that people laugh at on that Hoarders show. He squeaks when he talks, and squawks when he's arguing. Mark leaves bottles, doors, and drawers open. He cannot seem to figure out that you need to make as much money as you spend, and that I‘m not an ATM. Despite all those things, and the little stories I write about his foibles, I do care about him.

Let's face it, I'm spoiled. No matter what else I say about him, Mark is a great cook. Monday night he made lobster tail, with lobster ravioli in newburg sauce. It was damn good, and tonight he's making jambalaya. The aroma has already spread throughout the house. Anybody who has eaten here can attest to the fact that the skinny guy can cook.

I love my mom, but growing up we did not know of such foods. Mom had to cook for eleven children and had no time for experimentation. That road only led to sneers, tears, and my refusal to eat. My dining experiences were so unsophisticated as a child, that I considered the high school cafeteria food to be gourmet fare. In fact right up until the time I met Mark, I still considered Lancers Wine as good stuff, and fried calamari the height of good eats. Don’t get me wrong, I still cherish the crap I ate before. I crave White Castle hamburgers, and on more than one occasion I’ve scarfed down cold pizza for breakfast while Mark snoozed. I just don’t want to go back to those things as my only options. Yes, that skinny little man sure can cook, and this fat man loves him for it.

5 comments:

  1. No need to set anything straight - I can tell how much you care and love Mark by the stories you write on the blog about him. Those stories are 2nd only to the Alicia and Alexis video Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to be appreciated and I am sure that Mark knows how much you appreciate the fact that he is a great cook.
    Mom did what she could, but I know I never really took any of those large crowd receipes with me. Except maybe fried chicken, but that was Dad!
    Just remember, even if dinner isn't the best every night, you just need to let him know you really do appreciate the fact that he can cook! I would love to have a gourmet meal sitting on the table when I get home from work! but I guess I am just day dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark rocks - does he make his own ravioli?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arr this is such a lovely post Alan, I know you love Mark hugely, he is the apple of your eye! I can see this and I've never met you guys before ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark's only comment on this post was, "I do not use you for an ATM!", and then he asked me for a twenty.

    ReplyDelete