Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Could Turn It Into a Dog and Cat Door

My house was built when air-conditioning was expensive, yet I guess electricity was cheap. How else can I explain the windows in this place. They are called jalousies, three inch slats of glass stacked from bottom to the top of the windows. They're designed to be cranked open so as to catch all of the tropical breezes that blow through Florida. Unfortunately they are very leaky and just as effective at catching a breeze when closed. Because of that and my huge electric bill, I've been slowly trying to replace the windows, one at a time. So far I've replaced one. A small one, and I did a shitty job of it. But things like that don't deter me. On Saturday I started on one of the big windows.

I knew I needed to be prepared to do the job in one day. After all, I couldn't leave a gaping hole in the wall overnight. I'd have cats wandering in and out, not to mention the possums, and the dogs chasing the possums. So I grabbed my tools and got to it.
Right on queue, Mark plunged in with his negativity,
"You don't even have the right tools. Where's the level? Where are the shims?"
I then suggested that Mark leave the house while I did my work.
"I can't leave. You never finish your projects, I'd have to stay away forever." he squeaked.
My spirits quickly rose on that prospect, but instead I argued back, "Just leave and it'll get done Mark. Go!"
But he didn't. Instead he started pointing out the living room floor with the huge gaps between the floor boards, and the baseboards around only half the room. Then he reminded me of the back door that's hung off kilter and allows the morning sun to stream in between the sash and the door itself.

By the end of the day I had the job half finished. My hands were beaten, bloody, and bruised, and my muscles ached. I sat back in my recliner chair and pondered what it would be like to have a good man around the house? Somebody who could help me instead of harangue me. Somebody strong and knowledgeable about tools and home repair. Either that or a good lesbian friend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm strapping my tool belt on, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just take out a home equity loan and have the pros do it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, you did do a good job tiling the front apartment and painting the building. I'm sure the windows will be just fine. You could always put up the shutters to keep the wildlife out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I hear "strong and knowledgeable about tools and home repair."
    ..uh...never mind.

    ReplyDelete