Monday, February 28, 2011

Interior Designs, by Mr. Mark


Before I met Mark my home was much like some kind of hippy pad, or as my friend Dennis referred to it, 'early college dorm'. There is a myth out there that the gays know how to decorate, but the truth is much different. My home decorating skills have never progressed past the stage of my teenage bedroom. A big poster of Faye Dunaway, a funky little stereo, some books on a shelf, and I was good. By the time I hit my forties, I had added a floral patterned sofa, framed sports crap, and a television. When Mark moved in, he took one look and said, "This has got to go.".

The first thing Mark did was to paint the living room. In a rush of artistic fervor, he slapped on a coat of ochre colored paint, and then went back over it with a rag to give it texture. It took him almost a week to finish, and when he was done there was ochre paint spattered everywhere, including a bit on my dog Molly. Despite all that it was still an improvement and in fact it looked quite nice.

That was thirteen years ago, and our very stylish, rag painted living room is looking a bit dowdy now. So, Mark has decided that the living/dining room area must be repainted, which I am all for except for the fact that it won't be Mark painting it this time. Remember, he can't breathe. All the labor will fall on me, even though I have pointed out that I'm ten years older than Mark, have tendinitis, and I don't really see what's so wrong with the old worn paint job. Unfortunately Mark is like a runaway train when he starts on these things, and I will have to paint.

So now I have different paint samples dotting the walls, as Mark tries to make up his mind which color looks best. He has picked out a light blue, a light sage, and a darker green. My favorite is the light sage. I don't like the blue because the bedroom and the kitchen are already blue, and the dark green reminds me too much of the puking scene in the movie, The Exorcist. Of course what I like doesn't really matter that much. In fact Mark is at Home Depot right now picking up a few more color samples. If Mark keeps slapping up these different samples, he will eventually cover the entire room, which would be fine by me. I'd just leave it like that and call it my new 'style'. After all, who's going to question a gay man's sense of style.

14 comments:

  1. A little darker sage would look nice. Don't go with the real dark color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the green on the lower left of the top picture. Don't be afraid, take a chance; you can always paint it again if you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say hire a painter but then we wouldn't be getting any of the stories I'm sure are to come. You need to video the whole thing. You are bound to screw this up before you get it right. I have confidence in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green in the lower left is the vomit green I don't like. I'm glad you think it is nothing to paint two rooms full of Mark's clutter.

    P.S. I know that's you Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We painted our living room and dining room sage...or celery...or something. After 20 little cans of sample paint I can't remember what the winner was. I'm glad to know lesbians can pick a trendy homosexual color--FYI--it looked good on two labs and a cat also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a dark color but green would be soothing. You could buy Mark a respirator mask and hand him a brush! Also, if he doesn't paint, make HIM clear the clutter! Thats the best way to help cure a hoarder!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say let Alicia ans Alexis choose the color and video them painting...or at least trying to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So which one did he go with? (And I'm glad he's feeling better)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karlene dragged me to Homo Depot this weekend to buy paint for the bathroom. Fair warning...ask the price of Martha Stewart paint. We paid $39 for one god damned gallon of paint. Shit better look good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Syd, are you painting the bathroom BROWN???? With yellow trim maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the lighter color in the last pic (at the end of the post.) Anything but the green.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark has chosen a slightly darker sage than the light one. It isn't in the photos.

    Syd, before the Depot had Martha Stewart paint, they had Ralph Lauren paint. Mark talked me into buying a gallon of that stuff for over forty dollars. On paper it looked nice. In reality is was shit. It didn't go on nicely, and the color wasn't even close to the little sample. I hope Martha did better than Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about plain white.

    ReplyDelete