Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day?

Valentine's day is one of those holidays that I hate, like Christmas, anniversaries, birthdays, and any other time that I'm obliged to spend money on people. It's not that I don't want to spend the money, which I don't, it's the fact that I feel society, and Mark, are forcing me to do it. I have a budget. I'm not wealthy, and I need to spend no more than I take in. I'm kind of like a Tea Party unto myself, except without the birther theories, and Muslim fears.

Yesterday, when I came home from walking dogs at the shelter, I found a pile of things wrapped in red paper stacked on my desk. Mark had gone shopping, and bought me a bunch of Valentine gifts. With faux enthusiasm I slowly opened each one, giving Mark a little kiss for each shirt, sock, and t-shirt. "Ooooh, a box of Frango Mints!", I exclaimed as I opened the last package.
This was followed by an uneasy quiet as Mark stood expectantly behind my chair.
Finally he squeaked, "Didn't you get me anything?"
"Well, nothing that I have here with me now.", I told him.
Just then the dogs burst into their, 'somebody is at the door', insane barking frenzy. Perfect timing. It was the flower delivery. I had ordered Mark flowers on Friday, for delivery on Valentine's day. I had gone on line to the FTD site, and ordered what appeared to be a beautiful bouquet. Seventy five dollars to mollify Mark, knowing that if I didn't, I'd be eating nothing for dinner all week. I took the flowers from the delivery man, and started back into the house. I realized before walking in the door, that what had been delivered looked nothing like the picture I had seen on the internet. Not as big, and not as many roses. In fact other than five wilting roses all the other 'flowers' and greenery in the bouquet could have been picked right out of my front yard. Schefflera, ferns, and some little white daisy things that grow as weeds all around my house.

In the end I was able to give Mark something he cherishes. A reason to call somebody up and bitch at them. I told him I'd call FTD to complain, but he insisted it would be his pleasure.

7 comments:

  1. Wow did you get taken! I saw much better bouquets of Roses at Walmart for $15. I would ask for a refund and never order online flowers from that company. I would think Wilton Manors would be filled with Florists. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentine's Day is just a Hallmark holiday. I prefer to spend money on things for my sweetie on our anniversary. Find a local florist Alan - they will give you a lot more for your money and uually it turns out BEAUTIFUL!!! Keep your money in your community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Pedals Panache on Wilton Drive. I've used them a couple of times and they did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twenty years together and K and I have never celebrated V Day. Well, except for the time we went out to eat on V day (unknowingly) and wondered why the hell every table had roses. Doh!

    Thankfully, we both HATE it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you Syd. How about birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas? That would be the perfect mate, one who hated the same things I did.

    By the way, FTD just refunded all my money. They stand by their guarantee. I've used them before to send flowers to my mom and she always has loved them (she's my mom, she has to). I think the problem was with the florist, not FTD. Why they used a florist fifteen miles away, I'll never figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I'm hoping you recorded that call and it's saved for a later post, if not, don't tease us like that!
    jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Jackie, sometimes just being in a room while Mark is berating some poor bastard is enough to give me ulcers. I just know that fifteen minutes later Mark came into my office and told me a new bouquet would be delivered. It never was, and FTD refunded the full amount.

    ReplyDelete