Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HELP !!!

Four days ago Mark bought himself a beautiful new set of pots and pans. This morning I fucked up the frying pan. It's not like I did it on purpose, and it's not like Mark paid full price for it. In fact he paid sixty two dollars for the entire set that originally sold for three hundred. Through some kind of coupon manipulation, sale offer, and a half used gift card, Mark got the whole set for next to nothing. But I digress.

I got up this morning as usual, walked both dogs, watched a little news on television, and then made breakfast. Two eggs scrambled, sausage, and a hash brown potato patty for Mark. Same for me, except I like my eggs sunny side up. We were sitting there enjoying our breakfast as Mark opined on the news of the day in his outside voice, when I noticed the room filling up with smoke. I had left the stove on.

After running around opening windows, and doors to air the place out, I took a good look at the frying pan I had made the hash browns in. It didn't look good. In fact it still doesn't look good after scrubbing, and polishing, and trying to grind away the awful stain that was burned into it. That's my problem. Mark has not seen it yet, and I need to find out how to clean it. I've tried everything I read on the internet, to no avail. So if anybody knows how to fix this thing, let me know quickly. Mark has access to large, sharp knives, and I can't run very fast.

11 comments:

  1. hide it and play stupid when he asks if you've seen it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not likely. I can do that with some things, but not anything in his kitchen. I'd be better off hiding the knives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the pan is stainless steel, try using a gentle scouring powder. I use Bon Ami. Sometimes a gentle soak in vinegar/water, even to the point of a low simmer on the stove helps. You could also check the website for their recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try bleaching it out. If nothing works just buy an identical one to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screw him, tell him he did it and just forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expect a scene right out of "A Christmas Story," specifically, the leg-lamp scene... "You did this, on purpose!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does Mark not have rules about which pans and knives you aren't to touch? Or maybe he needs to expand that list.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with replacing it with a new one...or you could toss it and swear that it never was in the set!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could also try to scour with a paste of baking powder (or soda...I think it's soda...the one that you put in the fridge to absorb odors) but I suspect if you've already tried to scrub, you might be out of luck.

    Maybe fill it with water and bring to a boil on the stove? Really let the hot water do the work for you? I dunno. Blue skyin' over here!

    I have recently done the same thing to a pot of mine and most of the black stuff came off. We moved into a house with an electric stove and I'm used to gas, so I have actually been burning a whole number of pots, and the food that was in them. Argh!

    Good luck. Last suggestion - zip out and buy him a new one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tamara, thanks. I already tried that baking soda thing. It got some of it off, but I think the actual metal discolored from the heat. If I buy him a new skillet it will probably cost as much or more than the entire set did. I'll just have to sleep with one eye open.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your post on Tongue in Cheek!
    ahh youth.........

    ReplyDelete