Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Heart You

Such a lovely, and romantic day, Saint Valentine's day. Lovely for florists, and romantic because they love making huge profits. As for me, it's just another gigantic waste of my money. I am just now recovering from the shock of spending for Christmas, and Mark's birthday, now they want more. The bastards. I'm not even sure who the hell Saint Valentine was. I surely don't remember reading about a saint who loved chocolate, and flowers in my Catholic school catechism.

Sure, you say, just don't spend that much. Well you don't live with Mark. You don't know the ramifications of ignoring these goddamn holidays. Last year after buying the flowers, I went to CVS for some cheap chocolates. Turned out that the flowers were nearly dead, and Mark immediately called me on the CVS chocolates.
"Russell Stover candy? Well I hope you like hotdogs for dinner."
So this year I was going to try a little harder. I still got the CVS chocolates, but this time they are Dove raspberry truffle hearts. I also went on line for some decent flowers, forgoing the route I took last year which was buying them from the car window at an intersection. When I went on line for the flowers I was shocked. I soon realized that if I were going to get Mark some flowers, I would have to pull some money out of my rainy day fund. Well it isn't a rainy day, and I am not spending over a hundred dollars for something that will be dead within the week. Instead I got Mark a Macy's gift card. It combines the thoughtfulness of allowing Mark to go shopping, and me spending money I really didn't want to spend. Just call me a romantic.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're not MY boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to add, I think Mark would like the $209.99 floral piece in the pix...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did he give you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, I'm sure you would not want me for a boyfriend for more than just the fact I hate Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! This is why AP and I always say, "don't buy me anything for Valentine's Day" but then we always end up buying each other our favorite chocolates. And by "our" I mean... I buy AP my favorite chocolates and he buys me his favorite chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sat home and treated myself to a carton of Cherry Sorbet mixed with fresh strawberries. I love me.

    ReplyDelete