Monday, February 13, 2012

I'm Too Damn Nice

Three years ago
It was the strangling stench of cat urine that caught my attention first, then I noticed that all the windows of my front tenant's apartment were open. Oh god, I thought, what the hell is in there.

It was moving day Saturday for my tenants of three years. Over that time I had become comfortable with them, and I was sad to hear that they would not be renewing their lease.
"We found a nice apartment down on the beach. We really loved living here, but have always wanted to live on the beach."
I understood, and told them to have a nice time in their new digs, I'd find a new tenant. One thing that was weird about them, is that they always kept their window shades drawn, and I couldn't look in. When they had first moved in they asked me to watch their cat on occasion, which I did. However, over the last year or so I was never inside the apartment, but that wasn't so odd. They were busy folks. I would see their dogs out in the yard, and Chandler would play with them. We were friendly.

Back to the stench. Sunday I found the front door unlocked, and nobody home. They had said they would be out by the eleventh of February, so I opened the door and walked in. All the furniture was gone. There was garbage everywhere, and a kitty litter box overflowing with clumps of cat piss, and shit. Worst of all, there were two cats in the apartment meowing at me. They were hungry. I fed them and went back over to my apartment to ponder what I had on my hands. A filthy apartment, two cats, and a lot of work ahead of me.

And now an update. As I was writing this the tenants came back, and tapped on my office window. Thank god, they were here to feed the cats. They said that they would return tomorrow to clean the apartment, and take the cats away. Which is a good thing, because I gave them back their security deposit last year.
Yesterday

5 comments:

  1. Fellow animal & clean house loverFebruary 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM

    I sure hope they do come back, clean up that mess and take their cats with them. Or maybe it would be better if they didn't take the cats - doesn't look like they take care of themselves let alone 2 cats! I feel sorry for the cats (and you if they don't come back and clean!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow animal and clean house lover, does this mean you'll take the cats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry can't - allergic like you but if I could I would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a crock of sh*&# - "allergies" is just an excuse to get rid of animals you don't want anymore so you don't look like a meanie to your friends. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why ever would you give back a security deposit BEFORE they left and you checked the place???!!! You talk mean but you are too much of a softy....to your tenants and marks demands!!!

    ReplyDelete