Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Rave About Special K

As a kid, I was a cereal hound. I ate cereal every single day for breakfast, except for those rare occasions when dad would bring home donuts from Klepper's Bakery. Then I was a Boston Cream filled Bismarck hound. When it came to the cereal, I liked rice puffs. They were kind of fun to eat even though they tasted like paper. You did have to pour at least a half cup of sugar on top of them to keep them from floating out of the bowl though. Wheat Chex were also on the breakfast list but also required a ton of sugar. Not because they floated, but because they taste like cardboard. Then there was Frosted Flakes. They were perfect, didn't float, didn't taste like crap, and needed very little sugar added.

I got away from cereal in my adult years, but recently Mark has been buying it again. Usually whatever is on sale. My favorites now are Honey Nut Cheerios, and anything with fruit in it. This week Mark brought home a new one for me, Special K. I don't know what the hell Special K is. It doesn't tell you in the name other than it's special. Turns out this Special K that Mark brought home is special because it has red berries in it. Not blueberries, not strawberries, not raspberries, but something called red berries. Little red disks, that when milk is added to the cereal, turn into slimy mush. I've found that if I put enough sugar on them though, they are almost palatable.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I think I remember you eating rice puffs... I was probably, what... 3? So funny. You and Paul loved cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kleppers, which is now Zettlemier's still has the BEST bismarks and chocolate donuts in the world. And the place still has that magic smell when you walk in the door! YUM! Special K is actually rice krispies for grown ups! Thanks for the warning on the red berries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am sad about having to work for a living, which is about every day, I get special cereal instead of that high fiber sh*t I'm supposed to eat because I'm a woman of a certain age. Usually I go for Reese's Peanut Butter Cup cereal. I ate Freakies cereal when I was a kid and had all the magnets on the fridge. When all else fails and I want to end it all I go get Pop Tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pop Tarts. A piece of cardboard with a very, very, thin schmeer of fruit preserves in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's worse...my favorite are the chocolate frosted ones.No fruit schmeer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All processed food, yuk.

    ReplyDelete