Tuesday, April 10, 2012

R.E.M. L.E.D.

Somewhere around midnight I turn off the television and fall asleep. I am warmly ensconced in piles of blankets, pillows, and dogs. I sleep pretty good, for hours I am in a deep sleep. Around five in the morning I start dreaming. This means I'll have to get up and take a leak soon. I have noticed that my middle of the night pee breaks are always preceded by some kind of bizarre dream. Don't get me wrong, I like the dreams. They are one of my favorite forms of entertainment, and cutting them short for that pee break does ruin it. It is when I come back from the bathroom that I notice, it's almost like daylight in here. Five in the morning and I can see everything in the bedroom. Chandler flopped out in the middle of the bed, Sasha stretched across the pillows, and Mark, skinny Mark, taking up most of the rest of the bed. So why is it so bright in here? The answer is LEDs, Light emitting diodes, the ubiquitous signal of the modern world. The television has a blue one to let me know it is off. On the dresser is Mark's Kindle charging with it's green led. Next to that is the Directv receiver, and Mark's cell phone charging up behind it. Both have led's just so that I know they are doing their jobs. Over on the other side of the room is the house phone sitting in it's cradle, recharging, and helping to light that side of the room. But worst of all is the new fan that Mark has bought. It not only pushes air around, it filters it, and adds ozone to the room. It's the ozone function that causes the brightest blue led I have ever seen to remain lit all night. I have asked Mark to turn off that part of the fan, but he insists it helps him breath. So I have a choice to make, let Mark breath, or let me sleep. There is one benefit to the giant, bright blue, ozone led. It does act as kind of a beacon so that I will always find the bathroom in the dark. Nothing worse than stumbling into the closet instead of the bathroom....   Yes, I have done that.

5 comments:

  1. I hate having any light in my bedroom at night - I sleep best in the darkest darkest room. I installed black out curtains about two weeks ago and I am sleeping better than ever. How I take care of the LEDs - cover them with a washcloth, duct tape, cardboard, only charge the phone in the daytime, etc etc. Don thinks I am nuts, but I am sleeping so much better lately! So buy some duct tape or electrical tape and re-decorate the LEDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it has been clinically proven that people get the best sleep in total darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why when I visit you I cover the computer router with a wash cloth. I've done the same at home as Sue and I sleep great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Google "best sleep in total darkness" and you'll see many interesting articles.

    ReplyDelete