Monday, June 4, 2012

Canned Laughter

A friend of mine told me about how he came home from work and found one of his kitchen cabinets laying on the floor of the kitchen. It had ripped away from the wall and smashed onto the floor. He said there were broken dishes and stuff all over the place. I mean, have you ever even considered such a thing happening in your house? Anyway, I thought it was a bit humorous that his house was falling down around him. A week later I talked to him again, and he mentioned that the cabinet was still on the floor, and that he had to keep walking around it every time he went in the kitchen. Suddenly the situation went from humorous to sad. It did get me to thinking though. I put up our kitchen cabinets just over ten years ago. I used three inch long screws, and fastened them securely into a two by six stud that ran across the entire kitchen wall. Certainly I have nothing to worry about.

Then I opened the cabinets, and took a closer look. I forgot that I live with a hoarder.

There must be a couple of hundred pounds of canned goods in the one on the right alone.

5 comments:

  1. Be very afraid, Alan. About a month ago, I was trying to wake up and make coffee and it seemed like the cabinets were leaning in towards me. This was either a new hangover symptom or the cabinets were pulling apart from the wall. Turned out to be the later. Pushed paint cans and plywood under them until we could get a fix-it guy in there to make things right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you this, but the shelves are bowing in the one on the right! looks like it's gonna blow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens all the time. I loaned a friend a 250 piece set of antique dishware for a dinner party she was having. She jammed it in a cabinet like this. Needless to say, the cabinet came down and every dish was destroyed. Don't put anything valuable in hanging cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can never have enough hurricane supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are cans in there that have expired 'use by' dates on them. I guess in a hurricane a little food poisoning is just a bit of frosting on the cake.

    ReplyDelete