Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Downward Spiral

I'm out in the yard early, skimming some kind of white, gooey mess, and what appears to be splotches of frog eggs out of the swimming pool. It's a horrible mess that I've had to clean up every day for over a week. I know where the frog eggs are coming from, I can hear them in the trees every night croaking loudly. But what the hell is this white sticky stuff?

I've battled iguanas, rats, possums, and various other odd critters over the years, but this white crap was something new. I mentioned it to the nice lesbian down the street, and she immediately said, "White flies, you have white flies. I've been cleaning up that mess out of our pool all week."
So I looked it up on the Google, and sure enough, we are infested with white flies. Spiraling white flies to be specific. The worst part about it is that there appears to be no known remedy for the little bastards. As for the frog eggs, I find that if I over chlorinate the pool it keeps them from hatching. Unfortunately it does not make them go away. So if anybody enjoys swimming in a nice pool with a thin layer of weird goo on top of the water, this is the place. The only other alternative I can think of is a catfish farm. Yum, fresh catfish right outside my door.

4 comments:

  1. Yall could have a nice backyerd fishin hole in dat dere seement pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This type of whitefly feeds off leaves, sucking sugars from the tree "like candy," and the stress on the leaf causes some leaf dropping,"

    After all the leaves drop from above your pool the flies will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have a pool.

    It's still only 60F here.

    At least I don't have white flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan's got a pool and a pond. Pond would be good for him.
    *paraphrased from from Caddy Shack*

    ReplyDelete