Thursday, September 1, 2016

Kinky Boobs



I think it was 1973 when my friend Mike took me to a drag show at the Baton Show Lounge in Chicago. I was still a fresh face from the suburbs and had never seen a drag show before. I was impressed. It was flashy, it was funny, and those girls had such fabulous voices. Then my friend Mike explained that they weren't singing. They were lip syncing. Whatever, if it was good enough for American Bandstand, it should be good enough for drag. Like I said, I was entertained. In fact Mike knew some of the girls and took me back stage into the dressing room where the illusion was shattered. They were definitely men, except for one of the entertainers. "She" had titties. She had real, authentic titties made out of real silicone. I had never seen such a thing before.


Tuesday, Mark and I went to see Kinky Boots, the musical. I honestly did not want to go. I had seen the movie. Well half of it before I turned it off. It bored me. To my surprise and delight, Kinky Boots was wonderful. The lead, a guy named J. Harrison Ghee, lit the stage up. He played the drag performer named Lola, and did an amazing job. No lip syncing here, just great singing and dancing. I loved it. In fact it kind of made me yearn to go see a show at the Baton again.

2 comments: