Tuesday, May 1, 2018

AAA Great Day


What a gorgeous day, yesterday. It was like nature flicked a switch and we went from chilly post winter to summer. It was forty two degrees in my backyard yesterday morning, and eighty degrees by four in the afternoon. So nice that Mark decided we needed to do a little chore that he had put off last week. What we had to do was get in the car and drive over to Illinois Masonic Hospital to pick up some medical records. Then drive downtown to Northwestern Hospital to deliver them to his new doctor. That meant a nice trip along Lake Shore Drive. Truly, a beautiful drive. So, despite two knuckleheads in front of us riding their motorcycles on just the rear wheel (Wheelies?), it was very enjoyable. 

When we got to Northwestern, I left Mark in the car and I ran the package up to his doctor's office. When I got back to the car Mark had the windows down with some Bruno Mars on the CD player. I got in, turned the ignition key, and nothing. The car didn't start.
"What the... ?"
I tried again, listening for the engine over the sound of Bruno's singing.
Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, clickty, click....
"The battery is dead."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure. Did you hear that clicking sound? That's a dead battery."
Two weeks ago I renewed my AAA membership one day before it ran out. So I pulled out the card and called. I was assured that somebody would be there to start my car within one hour. Now here is the really remarkable part of this story. I did not curse, I did not say fuck once. I didn't blame Mark for running down the battery with Bruno Mars. Instead I quietly called AAA and then waited for them. While waiting for the tow truck, Mark and I told stories, made fun of the people walking down the sidewalk, and watched two urban bunny rabbits hop around in the huge vacant lot beside the hospital. An hour and twenty minutes later the AAA guy showed up and within five minutes we were on our way. Funny how a little nice weather makes everything easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment