Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


I  have seven sisters. When they were young my mom let their hair grow long, very long (Which makes me wonder why she had such a problem when I let my hair grow long in the late 1960s). While scanning photos from the family albums I came across this photo of my sister, Sue. I think it might be right before she had her hair cut. You have to admit, that is a nice head of hair. I remember her having that hair cut off and my mom saving the hair, in curls, in a shirt box. I would think the photo would be enough. Anyway, I have a lot of memories of my mom, my sisters, and their hair. Usually it involved some screaming as my mom brushed out the snarls before putting their hair up in rag curls. It's another good reason I am glad I wasn't born a girl (Giving birth is reason number one).

I have the weirdest memory. I will remember things like Susan's hair, yet I look at those old photos and don't remember some of the big events. Below is a photo of my Uncle and Aunt's wedding. I was obviously there, I'm standing right in the middle with my mom and dad, dressed very nattily in a little sport coat and slacks. I don't remember one moment of that wedding. Not the church, not the reception, nothing. Of course now I look at that photo and I find it immensely interesting. There are two Ramblers, a 1960 Dodge, an older Chrysler product in front of that, and a Mercury in that photo. And that car that the Bride, my aunt, is standing in front of, could be a Buick. Like I said, my memory is very weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment