Friday, May 4, 2018

I Get Allergic Smelling Hay


Yesterday I cleaned out last year's debris, picked up the stray pieces of dog poo, and took a shovel to the garden in preparation for this year's crop. Unlike the previous two years I did not let Mark plan it. He has no concept of gardening and for the last two years he has tried to shove an acre of plants into fifty square feet. Looks impressive at first, but by the end of June it is a tangled mess of tomatoes, cucumbers, and various bean and pea plants. So I told Mark that he could plant two tomato and one cucumber plant. It makes sense because that would supply two people with more than enough. As for beans and peas, we never harvested a thing from those plants last year. They got choked out by the half dozen tomato plants and the four cucumber plants. I could make the garden larger, dig up more of the sod, but that is work. Hard work that I do not want to do. Besides, it's cheaper to buy peas and beans at the grocery store. I am also shit canning the corn. No corn this year.

After planting our garden, I took care of the dogs. The dogs love tomatoes and I could not keep them out of the garden last year. Every time they went out there, they would rummage around and pick my tomatoes to eat. I even planted one tomato plant at the edge of the garden just for them, but they liked the diversity deeper in the garden. So this year I fenced off the garden and this is what I planted. Two tomato plants and a cucumber plant inside the little fence, that's it. Then I planted another tomato plant in a big planter outside the garden. That one in the planter is for the dogs. I hope that satisfies their animal lust for tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment