Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks

Ah, Thanksgiving. Turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Especially the stuffing. Mark makes a turkey stuffing with sausage that is a meal in itself. Then there's the football. I don't really care about the Dallas Cowboys, or the Detroit Lions, but I do like football, and at least I have an excuse to leave the television tuned in to it all day long. It's tradition! The only thing that could make me like Thanksgiving more is if I actually had a job, and didn't have to work on that day.

It's the smells, tastes, and sounds that I love about Thanksgiving. It brings back memories of childhood when my mom would get up in the early morning hours and start cooking, the smell of turkey wafting through the house. Later on, the sight of the big long table filled with food and surrounded by my huge family, including grandma, grandpa, and various other relatives. Because of my being third born, I never experienced the Siberia known as the 'kid's table'. I never had to be banished to that secondary celebration filled with the rabble known as my little sisters, and brothers.

The only drawback about the day is the fact that I am the one who cleans up the kitchen. Mark cooks, I clean. It would be nice if I could just flop down on the sofa after dinner, and take a nap in front of the television like my dad used to do. By the time I get done cleaning up, Mark has some sappy show on the television, and the dog has taken my spot on the sofa.

10 comments:

  1. Isn't it great that we have these great memories of our families and the joys we shared. I've seen so many kids in my career that have nothing and hope someone gives them a food basket. Alan, we've had a pretty good life and I am thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss grandpa swearing at the football game on tv during family parties.

    I'll be visiting my best friend in Virginia for Thanksgiving, but I'll make sure to turn on the game and swear at the tv a couple of times in grandpa's honor.

    happy tofurkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both should just either go out to dinner or have a pot luck dinner at your home. Have the guests put their dishes in the dishwasher and help put things away. I'm sure Russell would be happy to help as would I. Also, just keep it simple. There is no need for a 23 course dinner for two people. Oh I forgot, Mark's cooking......hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the 'guests' have to put their own dishes in the washer, then they are not guests, they are the help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan & Mark, sorry I wont be able to come over for dinner, I'm sure Mark will cook a feast, thanks, and eat a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that you in the last picture? Sure looks just like you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my dad. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan: So is there suppose to be a "Jr" after your last name since you and your father's first name are the same? Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Are your father's protege prodigal son?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Garet, my dads first name was Big, followed by Al. Actually his name was Alexander or Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess there was only one "Big Al"

    ReplyDelete