Thursday, November 20, 2008

Walk Much?

I'm glad I got Chandler when I did, because I have the feeling he might have ended up a lifer at the shelter. He is extremely rambunctious and always comes at you jumping, with his mouth open. It's not to be aggressive, I think he is just an oral type of dog. He wants to taste, feel, and slime, everything he encounters, and that is quite often my arm or hand. Behavior like that might have made it hard to place him.

I am still walking dogs at the pet shelter, once a week, and sometimes twice. It is really sad to see some of these beautiful dogs spending their lives in a cage instead of a home. The problem is that at first sight, some of them appear to be too aggressive, or have other socially unacceptable habits. Once you get them out of their cages and out for a walk, almost all of them show the potential of being fine pets.

Today, while walking one of two large Labrador Retrievers named either Starsky or Hutch, I stepped on a large rock, and twisted my ankle. Those who know me, have seen this sight before and are not astonished when they witness the spectacle of me suddenly lurching forward, and slamming into the ground with a loud thud. This, however was the first time the other dog walkers had witnessed my affliction. As Starsky (or Hutch), pulled me one direction, my ankle popped and sent me in a graceless dive, the opposite direction. As the all too familiar pain fired through my leg, and I plunged knee first into a patch of burrs and dog crap, I let out a garbled scream. The rest of the dog walkers stood there with the look of horror on their faces. Not so much at seeing me splayed on the ground, but more likely because I had dropped the leash of the dog I was walking. They needn't have worried. Starsky (or Hutch), reacted much the same way my Molly used to when I would fall walking her. He just moved out of the way and looked at me. I'm sure he was thinking, "Stupid biped".

4 comments:

  1. I think Alan needs a seeing eye dog who can watch for rocks in Alans path and warn him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to take another one of those dogs home. Het...I got abother idea. Mom has an extra walker.I'll see if she'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try roller blades while walking them. Not that that would be better. It would just be funnier. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The curse of the family ankles.... soon to be followed by the family knees....aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete