Tuesday, November 25, 2008

When is Anorexia Night?

Every Monday, after bowling, my team-mates and I go out for a couple of drinks, either to lick our wounds or celebrate the fact that we bowled way over our heads and won. Our favorite Monday night bar recently eliminated it's drink specials, so we have been bouncing around from bar to bar, trying to find one as cheap as we are. You have to be very careful with bars that have special nights. If you are not careful, you will walk into somebody else's idea of fun.

When I lived in Chicago, my friend Dennis and I decided to try out a new bar. We hadn't checked the bar guide before we went and soon we found ourselves having a drink in the midst of 'Cross-Dressers night'. These were not well done drag queens. these were basically hairy armed plumbers, carpenters, auto mechanics, and other blue collar "straight" guys who just happened to like wearing dresses. It was not pretty. Picture Archie Bunker in one of Edith's dresses and a wig.

One evening when Mark and I were visiting Chicago, we decided to return to a bar we'd had a good time at the night before. To our surprise and enjoyment, on this night they had a large buffet laid out. While we sat there sipping our cocktails and nibbling on chicken wings, I mentioned to Mark that there seemed to be a number of obese people around the bar. As the evening wore on more and more heavyweights filled the bar. We had stumbled upon 'Girth and Mirth' night, or 'fat gay men and the slim guys who like them' night. Unfortunately the only slim guys there were Mark and me. Yes even I looked slim to them. It was when they started eyeing Mark with a hungry look in their eyes that I suggested we might want to leave. Besides, if one of them sat down without looking, it could be a disaster for Mark.

4 comments:

  1. Ahahaha girth and mirth !!! Love that picture too ahahaha :D:D

    Glad you made it out alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were those guys? I thought it was just a bunch of really ugly women from some foreign county. I won't say which one since you seem to have readers all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes. I remember some of those straight transvestites with the hairy arms and the wife at home and grown kids in college. Thank God we live in the USA where this is considered freedom of speech. In some countries around the world it is sad to hear what they would do to them.

    Freedom first and separation of church and state forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the "bar wars" in Chicago. So many were fighting to get a crowd by putting out free food during happy hour. I had many a free dinner then. Now that is a way to help the poor!

    ReplyDelete