Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Injun Summer

Early Sunday morning the temperature fell below seventy degrees and I had to wear a jacket when I took Chandler for his walkies. In fact the temperature was fifty four degrees at seven thirty in the morning. I know for most of you who live elsewhere that doesn't seem like a momentous occasion, but it is the first time we have seen a temp in the sixties or less since late last April. I was able to turn off the air-conditioning for the first time in almost six months, and open the windows to get real air flowing through the house. Mark of course, began complaining about how cold it was. He is basically a bag of bones with skin stretched over them, and not even one layer of fat molecules to insulate him. He loves the hellish heat of summer down here. When Mark and I first started seeing each other almost thirteen years ago, I would have to call him an hour before going over to his house so that he could turn on the air-conditioner and cool it down for me. If I didn't, I would be walking into a steaming hot sweat box of an apartment, with Mark sitting there cool as could be.

This little cold front won't last long. In fact by the time you read this the temps will have started climbing back up towards the nineties, with the humidity building up right behind. Up north you guys call it Indian Summer when you get a cold spell in the fall followed by more warm weather. Here in South Florida we call it nature screwing with us.

3 comments:

  1. You southerners are missing the most beautiful time of the year up north. It's called Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately winter is not far behind for the northerners and winter SUCKS! It's even worse this year since we didn't really have a summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Injun Summer pictures.... I remember them from childhood. It meant that Halloween was close behind!

    ReplyDelete