Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Put Some Tomatoes In That Stew


A few years ago my neighbor from around the corner, Gay Republican Mike, was on the local news because he found a large iguana with an arrow shot through it. At the time everyone was aghast that somebody would harm this beautiful lizard. GRM nursed the thing back to health and released it back into the neighborhood. I didn't think much about it at the time, it was just a curious news item about my neighborhood. A year or so later, the lady across the street complained about all the iguanas pooping in her swimming pool. Once again I didn't think much about it other than, she must be over reacting. How much poop could an iguana really make? Suddenly this past summer the iguana population exploded, and I found out how much poop they make. Where I would once in a great while spot an iguana near my house, I am now running into them all the time in my yard. They are hanging in the trees, swimming in the pool, and worst of all, they are eating Mark's garden. I know I have made fun of Mark's 'Auschwitz' for plants before, but at least he got a good number of tomatoes out of it before it shriveled up and died from neglect. This season he is getting nothing because the pretty green lizards are eating the tomatoes before they even have a chance to flower.

So this winter we will have no fresh tomatoes in our salads, no fried green tomatoes, and no tomatoes on my hamburgers. While I myself could not hurt them, I do understand now why that iguana had an arrow through it a few years ago.

Stew Recipe Here....

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a nightmare to me. I am freaked out by normal sized lizards. Those would send me over the edge.

    The deer are eating my turnip greens. At least they aren't shitting everywhere though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah there are some crazy neighbors out there, it is nice to hear that they are not only round near me !!!

    If only we had lizards here, we get other stuff like hedgehogs but still

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you can still have tomatoes in your salad, fried green ones,and tomatoes on your hamburgers. You can buy them at a place called a grocery store. I'm sure there must be one nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But grocery store tomatoes don't taste as good as home grown ones. There's nothing like fresh tomatoes from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely true. I've been buying my tomatoes from a farm stand near my brothers house and they are delicious. The grocery store tomatoes have no flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Syd, if the deer are in your yard, eating your turnip greens, they ARE shitting! Watch your step!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized something. Tigger the cat disappeared about four months ago. He lived in my back yard and ate lizards including small iguanas. Now we are getting a lot more of the iguanas. While I am not a proponent of allowing cats to live, or run around outside, Tigger did control the pests including rats. Tigger was very vocal and would make noise at inopportune times. I think somebody took him for a one way ride. Poor little Tigger, he was a very affectionate cat.

    ReplyDelete