Monday, October 12, 2009

We 'B' Things

Often shopping with Mark can end up in embarrassing situations. this time we are standing in Toys 'r' Us, arguing with the lady at the checkout about whether the coupon we brought for the 'Snow White' DVD is valid. We had followed the instructions in the Toys 'r' Us flier, and printed out the coupon online, but the lady said no, she couldn't take it because it was a fake. After explaining to her about computers, the internet, and online coupons, she still refused, convinced that somehow we were trying to put one over on her. Okay I thought, I'll just step back and let Mark do his magic. After a few words back and forth, Mark demanded to see the manager, perhaps a little louder than he should have. Within a minute the manager came out, and I figured a level headed toy store manager would iron everything out and we'd be done with it. Almost immediately he said, "We don't accept reproduction coupons, and if you don't leave the store I'll call the police." How it jumped from our wanting to buy a children's movie, to calling the cops that fast, I can't figure out, but it pissed me off and for once it was Mark who was trying to stop me from embarrassing him. I let loose with a string of profanity. The manager was an asshole, the store was run by assholes, Geoffrey the giraffe was an asshole, I called everyone within sight an asshole. The filth continued to fly out of my mouth as Mark hustled me out of the store.

I don't know exactly what Mark did after we got home. I could hear him squawking into the phone at someone, and then he left the house, returning a while later with a 'Snow White' DVD in his hand. Later I got a phone call from Toys 'r' Us headquarters asking for Mark. "Could you please have him call us back when he gets in?" the pleasant voice at the other end said.

See, that's the difference between Mark and me. Mark squawks, and squeaks, and insults, until he gets what he wants. I just start cursing, and end up looking like a crazy old man who nobody wants to even talk to.

15 comments:

  1. That's hilarious that you went on a profanity laced tirade in Toys R Us. God knows, that place makes me want to cuss, just walking through the doors.

    And good for Mark for getting the movie, regardless of how GAY it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to start the week! By the way, who is the movie for??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's for Mark of course. I saw it over fifty years ago in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole time I was reading the story 2 things kept going through my mind .... Dad did a rant like that in public when I was a kid. I can't remember where but I was damn proud of him.
    The other thought that kept racing through my mind 'why Snow White?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, Mark has all those Disney kids DVD's. I don't know why, I've never seen him watch them. He has brought up us adopting a baby a few times. I told him I would rather crush my nut sack in a vice than have children. Also, you say dad would have crazy, cursing, rants in public on occasion? I find that hard to believe, judging by his quiet, good nature at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Alan is just like Big Al, I've heard him MANY times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan, just let Mark know that having a child is nothing like caring for Chandler! You can't put them in a kennel or crate when you go out and they do reach a point of talking back and having their own ideas! Then again, Chandler won't be taking care of YOU in your old age! (Hi Steve and Laura!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @peggy: You'd better be directing that more towards Laura... I've already got the Shady Pines brochures...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay Steve....Pearl is on her way....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The final word on this episode is that when Mark returned the call to Toys r Us headquarters, he was informed that he, Mark, was wrong and no matter what he or I thought it said in the flier, he should not get the $10 off. In other words they don't give a damn, and will stick to their guns all the way into bankruptcy. Too bad for them Mark had already convinced the manager that Mark was right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for Mark! I hate that toy store.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHAHAA! All I could think of was Dad...and myself when I read the description of your tirade. I will never forget Dad's catchphrase..."so I'M the ASShole!!!!!!" So funny Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is the expiration date on the coupon? I believe it expired October 10, 2009. Did you inform the manager of the coupon website? Maybe you should have gone to Walmart instead.

    see website and comments about this coupon:

    http://www.dealseekingmom.com/10-off-snow-white-blu-raydvd-combo-coupon/

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://shop.wow-coupons.com/shop.php?c=DVD&n=404276&i=B001V9LPWQ&x=Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_Two_Disc_Blu_rayDVD_Combo_BD_Live_w_Blu_ray_packaging_Blu_ray

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://shop.wowcoupons.com/shop.
    php?c=DVD&n=404276&i=B001VLPWQ&x=
    Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_
    Two_Disc_Blu_rayDVD_Combo_BD_
    Live_w_Blu_ray_packaging_Blu_ray

    ReplyDelete