Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Hunt

Apparently I don't have a very strong sense of smell, because until Mark walked into my office and remarked that, "This place smells like cat piss.", I hadn't noticed. I assumed that it was just a little musty from the old rug, and sofa in there. I was wrong. After a few deep breaths, and a walk around the room, it was obvious that fat kitty had peed in my office. The problem was where? I opened the closet, and sniffed around in there. Very cluttered and filled with old dusty smells, but no musk of feline. I then crawled around on the floor, smelling under my desk, and all around. Still, I couldn't pinpoint the source of the odor. Finally, after pulling the couch away from the wall, and sticking my head down into the corner of the room, I found it. A strong, pungent whiff of cat piss rose up to my nostrils, and when I shined the flashlight back there, I saw the unmistakable sheen of a dried pee puddle.

Immediately I started stripping the room down. Out went the rug, and as much furniture as I could remove. I then scrubbed down the floor. Not once, but twice, with two different types of disinfectant, and two different mops. By the time I was done that room smelled better than a bed of roses, and more sterile than a fresh hospital room.

Fat Kitty hated it. It seems that cats like stink. Maybe the smell of her pee delineates the area, telling the dogs to beware. Whatever, Fat Kitty refused to go back in there, and hid somewhere for the next two days. No amount of shaking the Pounce® can of kitty crack could lure her out. I don't really have a problem with Fat Kitty hiding, and not eating for a few days. I know she'll get over it, she's a cat. My only fear is that I haven't seen her near her stinky old litter box all day, and I might have to do a more expanded search next time.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en-US&q=out+cat+urine+enzyme

    ReplyDelete
  3. or this...
    http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Dealing_with_Cat_Urine

    Household cleaners will not work!
    Only enzymes will because they eat the bacteria that even bleach can't get rid of.

    From an Experienced cat urine odor buster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also try getting a new litter box. The constant scratching creates grooves for bacteria to accumulate and after a while the cat may stop using the box because of the smell. Cat are fastidious about cleanliness just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guys all have good advice, but I can tell you this.
    It's Fat Kitty's world and she's just letting you live in it. She'll get you back when you least expect it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I need. To get caught in a battle of pissing cats and dogs. I just bought Sasha some pee pads for my bathroom today. Maybe this is what I get for all those years of pissing in my bed growing up, and making my mom wash those sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the big bulges and wet hunks bikini is back.

    ReplyDelete