Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nap Time

A little over a week ago, when Mark's sister called and told us that his aunt had died, I was of course sympathetic. When Mark told me that he was going to the funeral up in New York City, I was quietly giddy with anticipation. You see I look at these little times Mark is away from the house as mini-vacations from Mark, or as I call them Markations. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but sometimes being together day in and day out, listening to that squeaky voice opine on everything from politics to Bravo television shows, can wear on the psyche. So as I helped him prepare for the trip, I was already planning my weekend. First the yard sale. I did drag a bunch of stuff out there to sell, that if Mark had been here he'd have vetoed it. Unused kitchen crap, and various other things that have been cluttering up the place. But that wasn't the real thing I was looking forward to last weekend. I was looking forward to uninterrupted naps. Since the day Mark moved into this house, I have not been able to take a nap without being awakened by Mark. So I had my nap time all planned out, which is to say, any time I wanted to, I was going to take a nap. Wrong! Because of the invention of the goddamned cell phone, Mark was able to nag me from afar. At least six times Thursday, as many on Friday, and again, and again all weekend Mark called. I never did get a completely uninterrupted nap.

Mark just called again while I was writing this. He was bitching about having to check his bag, and whining because he left the cameras in that bag. He is scheduled to come in at midnight, and I have arranged to get him picked up from the airport. I also scheduled a nap during the time I knew his plane was in the air. I know I'll need that rest because if he finds out the cameras were stolen from his checked bag, all hell is going to break loose, and nobody is getting any sleep. Not me, not the baggage handlers, and not the baggage claim people. The only people getting some serious nap time in, will be the air traffic controllers.

7 comments:

  1. I love "no girlfriend" time. I can watch my tv shows and not have chores like I'm eleven yr. old. Oh, and the orgies...those are fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Russ will let you steal away in his apartment when he's at work to take a nap. Shhh... don't tell Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you know how to turn the cell phone off?? Why do people think that they HAVE to answer a ringing phone....I like voicemail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy, it doesn't matter. Once the phone rings, I'm awake. BTW it's my land line that he calls. (yes i'm old fashioned and have a land line)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is a land line? Oh, those are antiques now. Aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A land line is a phone line that is clear and easy to hear, and never has reception issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turn off the ringer!!!!

    ReplyDelete