Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Security

It's kind of embarrassing. Not just because I'm such a dolt that I lock myself out of the house all the time, but because I also know how to break back in within one minute.

Mark had gone off to New York, and my tenant who has a copy of my house key was off to work. I had shut the door. Locked it securely behind me so no bad men could break in and steal all our great stuff. I knew that I didn't have the key even as the latch made that solid clack of a securely locked door. I have done this so many times that I didn't even break a sweat. I immediately went over to the door that leads to our bedroom. After a bit of twisting at the little window frame on that door, I was able to slide the glass panel out, and reach in through the screen. With a quick twist of the wrist, while the two dogs barked crazily at me, I had unlocked the door and was in.

I know that I can't really secure my house against somebody who is determined to break in, so I don't try that hard. What I depend on is for the dogs to deter would be burglars. So this was kind of a test. Would the dogs notice somebody breaking into the house? They did, Chandler barked loudly, like some kind of insane hound, while Sasha yapped, and yapped. The only problem I can see is that once somebody got in, Chandler would probably stop barking, and bring them a squeaky toy to play with. It's Sasha who would continue yapping, tolerating no intruders.

I used to keep a spare key under a rock in the back yard, but I decided that was too easy. Besides, I kind of like the challenge of breaking in.

4 comments:

  1. Well, sounds like some pretty cool exercise. ;-)

    Out dog would do the same, first bark like mad, then roll out the red carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the test again with Nonny instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free stuff at Alan's house!

    Just wait until he's gone out drinking and follow his detailed instructions in this post on entering his home. Be sure to bring steak for the dogs. Don't waste time looking for the key under the rock.

    ReplyDelete