Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Little Public Service Announcement

Monday I walk large dogs at Abandoned Pet Rescue. I love the dogs, and don't mind the effort it takes sometimes to do it. If you could see the eyes of some of the dogs as they look longingly at you, it would break your heart. It is sort of a pleading look, "Please take me home with you today. Don't lock me back in that cage."
Now don't get me wrong, those dogs and cats are well cared for. The walking of dogs is part of the way they keep them socialized to make it easier to adopt them out. All that being so, it isn't easy to put them back in the kennel and walk away.

One thing I don't like about the shelter is the smell. Once again, the shelter people take very strict steps to keep the place clean, and sanitary. Unfortunately when you have so many dogs in an enclosed space you are going to have odors. Dog poop, dog pee, and the ever present smell of wet dog, because some of them like to play in their water bowls. Add to that the fact that a few of us got caught in a sudden cloud burst on Monday, and the odeur de chien was over powering. So if anyone is ever in Fort Lauderdale, come on over to 1137 NE 9th Avenue, and save one of these dogs. They'll appreciate it, and we'll have room for one more little stinker.


5 comments:

  1. Oh - you're a good person. I love dogs too and one reason why I don't volunteer to walk shelter dogs is because I don't think I could stand leaving them.

    Also, thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't stand leaving them either and I know that smell can be so overpowering some time! But you are doing a great thing and you have a lot of doggies who love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone that loves cats or dogs has a duty to volunteer at a shelter at LEAST sometime in their life. NO EXCUSES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Abandoned Pet Rescue! I use to volunteer there trimming animals' nails and cleaning their ears. I would do it again in a heartbeat. All those babies need us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan, did you see the segment on "Sunday Morning" about the photographer who takes PORTRAITS of the shelter dogs? Beautiful pictures that increased their adoption rate 100%!! I picked my ZOE based on her picture...and drove 4 hrs to the shelter she was at so I know a good picture works!

    ReplyDelete