Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pillow Talk

I haven't had a good nights sleep now for at least six months. That's around the time Sasha stopped being insecure and quit sleeping under the bed. Now she sleeps on the bed. To be more specific, Sasha sleeps on, or under, or next to my head. The worst is when she wedges herself under my pillow. I end up in a state of half sleep where I am constantly checking to make sure I haven't smothered her, crushed her, or broken her little legs. And then there are the noises. Sasha pants. Half the night all I hear is the breathless panting of our little dog, which in a way is good. It drowns out the croaking of the frogs in the wall.

So, why don't I just pick her up and move her away from my head. I do. I pick her up and move her to a more comfortable spot, but before I can get my head down on the pillow, she pops right back. It's like she's on some kind of spring. So lately I've figured a way to get some head time for myself. I pick Sasha up and move her over to Mark's pillow. Sometimes she sticks, and spends the night just above Mark's head, panting and snoring. All too often though, in the middle of the night she finds her way back over to me, and I awaken to find those two little eyes staring at me from an inch away from my face. I'm not sure why she likes my head so much. Maybe it's because my hair reminds her of her mother, or one of her litter mates. I'm just happy that Chandler isn't the one who likes to sleep on my head.

9 comments:

  1. Put Velcro on Mark's Pillow ... wait ....better not. Have you tried placing one of your used pillow cases in an area where you want her to sleep. Your scent might be what makes her feel secure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we got Pickles, AP said that the only condition to getting her was that she WOULD NOT sleep in the bed. OK. Fine. We got her and it turns out that she slept with the breeder's daughter for seven months. Also, she's a cavalier king charles and they're bred for human companionship so they tend to be more co-dependent that other doggies. Long story short. Pickles sleeps with us every night. She starts out at the foot of the bed but every morning she's between us, with her head on one of our pillows, snoring away. And when Pearl, the cat, gets cold, she comes up and sleeps on my head in the middle of the night. Sometimes I wake up with a terrible stiff neck and now you know why. And besides that, I'm having mid life hormonal changes - all this to say that I freaking never sleep!!! I empathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon #2, You left out that they can lick they're own buttholes, and they sniff every other dogs buttholes when they go for a walk.

    Dragonlane, Pickles and Pearl? Cute names. I've been thinking of renaming Sasha Piddles or Puddles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of thought the eating dead animals and animal waste was bad enough in itself. As a serious question, doesn't it gross you out? I mean, I'm always curious as to how people can stomach getting so close to something that does such disgusting, unclean things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Anonymous -- I've slept with MEN who did worse things than that. At least you don't have to buy a dog and cat a half a dozen drinks to get them in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott, you've slept with men who ate dead carcasses teeming with gastrointestianal parasites and/or cat feces? Of course you haven't. Why? Because that's pretty much the most repugnant thing on earth. But yet you'll sleep with and'give kisses' to the dog that engages in that behavior regularly. I'm sorry, pet lovers reading this--gross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, and Chandler also eats grass from the same lawn he poops, and pees on. I've lived 61 years and I'm in pretty fair shape. My grandfather lived two weeks shy of 102. He probably was exposed to a lot worse than a dog or cat. Grandpa worked at the stock yards in Chicago. He was born in 1886, and almost never saw a doctor until he cut off his toes while cutting the grass when he was 84. I'll take the chance and let my pets get close to me. I'd rather do that, than live a sheltered, sterile life.

    BTW, If you saw what went on in those stock yards, you would never eat meat again. I mean you wouldn't, I still do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember taking the train past those stockyards when I was a kid. It was the most gawd aweful smell of death and probably the main reason I turned vegetarian. Oh and I let my cats kiss me on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, to join in the argument, in my profession I've seen way worse disgusting, gross things involving human beings than what you describe with the animals. And I still have to behave as if it doesn't make me want to put on a hazmat suit to take their B/P! Humans choose to not wash or brush their teeth or to wear dirty clothes, animals just do what comes naturally!

    ReplyDelete