Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Condensate, Condensate, Dance to the Music

About a month ago I was sitting in my big, fluffy, red recliner and I noticed that I was sweating. A quick check of the thermostat revealed that sure enough, it was seventy eight degrees in the house. I like it around seventy four. In fact I can detect a variance of two degrees out of my comfort zone by the amount of sweat on my brow, or as I like to refer to it, glow. That evening I was glowing.

Something was obviously wrong so I checked the circuit breakers. They were fine. I checked the settings on the thermostat. They were right where I wanted them. Finally I opened the door to the closet where the air handler sits, and checked the condensate pump. Checking the condensate pump consists of giving it a little kick with my foot. Sure enough, as soon as my toe hit the thing, the air kicked on. So I took the cover off the pump and fiddled with the little switch in there, and for a week or so it worked fine. Then it started acting up on a daily basis, and I started fiddling with it every day. Finally it would quit hourly, and I decided to try and fix the thing. Now I worked on computer equipment for twenty five years, and I always think I can fix anything, so I reached in and grabbed the little switch that was causing all the trouble. Sparks flew off my finger tips, and a burning, tingling sensation ran up my arm. I had neglected to disconnect it from the electric. I've been shocked many times during my career as a computer technician so this didn't really bother me. I simply blew out the flames on my fingers, dipped them in some cold water, and continued my attempt to repair it.

Funny thing about these condensate pumps. It seems that they are all made quite cheaply over in China. Out of the thirty one consumer reviews on the Home Depot web site, twenty five rated the pump they bought there as crap. I can't wait to review the one I just bought.

17 comments:

  1. Like I have stated before, "Buy Products Made in the U.S.A." Why are you still supporting Chinese workers instead of helping put Americas to work? You get what you pay for. I refuse to buy anything made in China. That really limits my options though when shopping. This shows how ingrained China has duped us. What next...The United States of China?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me what store you shop in where everything is 'Made in the USA'? I checked the web sites of Home Depot, and Lowes, I called the Ace Hardware, and True Value Hardware stores. All of them had the same thing in basically the same product. Even though the pumps at Lowes and HD had different brand names, they both were identical as if made in the same Chinese factory, and only had different labels put on at the end of the assembly line.

    I appreciate your sentiment 'Me', but buying USA can be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except for Alan's hands, which are soft and subtle, United States citizen's hands (and personalities)are too big and coarse to make such fine mechanics. Look at Shenzhen, China and see how beautifully tiny all those children's hands are! It's the reason Americans have problems with "man-hands" typing on those iphones, but no problems changing a spark plug or two on a Chevy V8 truck.
    It's called "capitalism" for a reason, "Me". I research and buy the best quality for the cheapest price--except my giraffe farm--I paid top dollar for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hostess, you have giraffe arms?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Norm, you've just given me a great idea for culling the herd and making a little fashion cash on the side. My mother-in-law LOVED you when you toured the Borch Belt back in the 70s...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry--"borcht"--I made a giraffe/gaffe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly in the Norm Crosby tradition. It's Borscht.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *&^#. I can't spell to save my life.

    Is it really only Wednesday? I'm going by the store to pick up Jose Quervo Black and sip it while reading a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You neglected to mention what stream of curse words flew out of your mouth....or what it just "the usual"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might want to check to see if your Jose Quervo Black and dictionary are made in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When looking for an item or product made in the USA simply google "made in USA" and then the product you are looking for. There is a condenser pump that is made by a company in Pennsylvania for about $38. Do you homework.
    http://www.hartell.com/corp/details/0
    ,10294,CLI1_DIV32_ETI4195,00.html

    http://www.amazon.com/KT-15-1UL-Hartell-Condensate-conditioners-furnaces/dp/B000RHVDVQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peggy, I didn't even curse. Electrical shock will leave you speechless.

    Me, I don't drink tequila, and I use an on-line dictionary.

    Anonymous, would that company in Pennsylvania have had that pump over here in less than one hour, or would I have had to live days without AC?

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Me, I drink French or Russian vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could have had the pump shipped overnite. Maybe return the one made in China and order the one made in USA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ambos son hecho in Mexico. Naci en Tejas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. vete a la mierda que poco bobo

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Spanish is no bueno, but I see made in Mexico in one comment and the word shit and little in the other. Maybe you're both trying to say that a lot of little shitty things are made in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete