Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dadism

Dad
This morning while I was walking the dogs, I started thinking about my dad. He left us twelve years ago today, and certain sayings he often used came to mind. Dad was a Rembrandt when it came to cursing and spewing out cliché expressions of disgust, or impatience. It is from him that I learned most of my favorite swear words. But he was more than just a cursing, potty mouth. He had set lines that he would use all the time. For instance, I remember riding home from my grandmother's house in our old 1953 Plymouth. Each time my dad caught a red light he would start cursing, and say "Turn Irish already."
This is how I learned that the Irish were a race of green people, and that if you turned into an Irishman you were always free to pass through an intersection. It took a few years for me to realize that I might have made an incorrect assumption.

Dad had a lot of other quaint, if not vulgar, expressions that he liked to use. If you were supposed to be doing something, and dad caught you just farting around instead of doing the task at hand, he would tell you to, "Shit or get off the pot." And then there was one of my favorites that he would use on me a lot when I was a teenage punk. When I would act the fool, dad would look at me with a withering stare and ask, "Whaddaya, fuckin' goofy?"
Now I had a smart ass reply for that one, though I never used it. But under my breath I'd always reply, "No, he's a dog."

If any of you, meaning my ten brothers and sisters, or anybody else for that matter, has a favorite 'dad-ism' please share it with all of us in the comment section. 'Mom-isms' are also encouraged.

10 comments:

  1. there were many others, but everyday was filled with noise and people and life - wish I could remember the funny good things, but they just don't pop up as easily as the things that were yelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, this post was in no way intended to disrespect dad. It's just that like you said Sue, mostly I remember a guy who could be very loud and opinionated.

    One time I was over at the house on 68th Court with one of my long haired friends, and dad happened to pull up in the driveway. When dad came in the house he bellowed out, "Who the fuck is that animal out in the driveway?"
    It was the son of one of his best buddies from the K of C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad had a lot of "dad-isms" and at the moment only "shit or get off the pot" comes to mind. A very clear memory of dad was every Sunday morning him yelling at the teenagers in the house "Get the hell out of bed and go to god-damn church!". Of course we wanted to go to the 10:15 chapel mass and not the early masses Dad wanted us to go to! Always laugh about that one!!
    One "mom-ism" that I still laugh about was her line "shit, shit, shit, shit, shit". But she never swore! HILARIOUS!

    Love them both and miss him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I always enjoyed going to 'goddamned' mass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 of your 10 brothers & sistersMarch 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM

    Sorry it says anonyous. Comment window wasn't working - comment from one of your ten brothers and sisters!!

    It's working now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure but I think he asked me once if I was goofy. I think I said , "sometimes."

    ReplyDelete
  7. The one that sticks in my mind is the term "numbnuts". He used it to describe any moron he ran into, in life or on TV. I thought it was the most "benign" of all his phrases and used it myself... until my boyfriend (Rick) exolained to me what it referred to! I had no idea that "fart" was not acceptable in many families until Dad had picked up me and my friend, Barbara from nursing school. As we're driving along and chatting I thought she was going to have a stroke...."What's wrong?" I asked. Covering her mouth she whispered to me "You said FART in front of your Dad!!" I laughed and said "Where do you think I heard it from first??!!!" And 43 years later she still talks about that episode!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom's best mom-ism...."If my Dad yelled at me the way your Dad yells at you, I would never misbehave!" That's how we learned about the phrase-- his bark was worse than his bite! And you were safe if you could out-run him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorites, and quite creative I think...my dad's "I'll knock you flatter than piss on a plate!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, that is creative, 'piss on a plate'. My dad worked for a trucking company so his were much more basic.

    ReplyDelete